New Tank Owner?

roosworld

Hey I just got a 55 gal tank and I think all the stuff to make it work but I am not sure.I am using a sump system and a skimmer with a power head in the tank.I have washed the coral and added the salt.Waiting for the water to be right to add the live sand.The store told me I could get the fish in tommorrow and the two coral pieces i just dont know. Can anyone give a little friendly advice.
Roo:)

S

sinner's girl

.The store told me I could get the fish in tommorrow and the two coral pieces
NO.
Now let me welcome you to this board and hobby.
Do not add any fish untill your tank has complete its cycle. (search for cycle if you don't know what it is).
You can't add coral until way after the tank is established.
I have washed the coral and added the salt.Waiting for the water to be right to add the live sand.
uh? you're adding crush coral and live sand. you just need one or the other, (live sand if you have the money).
it's best to mix the salt and water before adding it to the tank. this takes a while with 55gl, but that's the best way. I think we added the cc, then added the salt water. let it settle.
to cycle your tank, please use live rock and dead shrimp. Please do not place a live fish in the tank until ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are zero.
Beware of lfs, many are out just to make money. If you have any question, come here and search or ask. You will find tons of helpful people, and lots of great information.
hth.

lesleybird

That's really sad that the fish store told you it was ok to add the fish tomorrow. I'm glad that you are here....we will tell you to add your fish one at a time starting in a month. Like the last person said, do a search for "cycle". Buy yourself a good saltwater book tomorrow and by next month when your tank is cycled you will have a good grasp on what you need to do to be successful. Rule number one is don't listen to what some clerk at your local fish store tells you. Reasearch everything youself first before you buy it. Good luck, This really is a fun hobby if you do your homework and do it right. Lesley

roosworld

thanks sinners girl,
The store told me to use the crushed coral then when the hydro meter says the level is right add the live sand.I am using a sump set up. An over flow thing.along with a sea clone 100 protien skimmer also in the 10 gal tank under the tank in the stand.They gave me a power head for in the tank and a pond master for under in that 10 gal tank.So now I have a 55 gal tank coral and sand (pretty cloudy right now) a lid that wont close because of the tubes and heater plug going over the back of tank. And a double flourescent light system (wow very bright! lol)I was happy that after I hooked it up there were no leaks!I have added the genesis drops for chlorine and marine buffer to get proper ph levels.I have a test kit for ammonia ,nitrate ,ph .How long do I wait before I try the test?I must sound pretty lame huh. I just did exactly what I was told.Do the lights sit right on top or do you or can you raise them just alittle over the glass like setting the corners up on lil blocks of wood. chat back soon
I go to the university of maryland two days a week. while being a single dad and working and just dealing with life.But we are always smiling! LOL So we picked salt water tank for our new hobbie (What were we thinking! LOL

scottnj

Roos,
As Sinners's said, welcome to the board and the hobby. That in itself is an important statement cause if you thought you were buying a few pets you were wrong, its a total hobby and an obsessive one at that. :rolleyes:
As for the tank and set-up and such, read all you can on the board, but also find a good book or two about marine aquariums, and then find another LFS. ;)
I would let things settle in the tank a bit if I were you, and then start to do some water tests. If you have added nothing that was recently alive, or that can decay you should not have ammonia yet. So that would be next, add a piece of raw shrimp into the tank and as it decays the cycle will start. I am a big fan of not putting a living animal into the tank until after the cycle is complete. (Figure 4-6 weeks)
Also you will need to decide what type of tank you want, fish only, fish only w live rock, or reef. And that will dictate some of your next steps.
Good luck!
-Scott

dreeves

Pretty much what already has been posted...
I can only add...read, read, read and read some more...
And while you are reading...slow waaaay down...marine aquaria is something you simply cannot rush...someone posted "in a month"...again...slow down...there is no time table....not 3 weeks, not a month...if you rush now...you will pay later....

moopiespoo

Yes Damsels are hardy but IMO its a cruel thing to do to the fish and people usually end up not wanting the damsel when cycling is complete. A piece of raw shrimp works just as well and as 'fast'.
Just remember to have patience and you will see the pay offs.

jp0379

Well, a week after my tank was set up (both times........a 125 and a 55), I added some damsels, and they are still there today. I also agree about the livesand..........much better and the fish love it!
As for LSU.........I was in the GOOOOOOOOOLDEN BAND..........from TIGERLAND! LOL.............that was quite awhile ago, but I still love my Tigers!

karajay

Originally posted by RoosWorld
The store told me to use the crushed coral then when the hydro meter says the level is right add the live sand.

Just my .02
You should not have both crushed coral and live sand. The sand will all settle and your CC will stay on the top, leaving you with something impossible to keep clean. Lots of us have taken the advice of the LFS and started with CC and made the switch to a sand bed. I think most here would advise ditching the CC and using sand. Try a search of this board and you'll get lots of good options for sand beds.
Welcome to SWF.com! :)

S

sinner's girl

Use a dead shrimp or uncured live rock to cycle the tank. the live sand will also help. Take the time while it is cycling to learn about this hobby, to figure out what fish you want to add. Please research and ask about a fish/invert before you buy it. They are mostly cute, but they don't all get along. And some need to be certian tank sizes.
The problem with adding damsels, it most people hate them, and want to get rid of the fish after the tank is cycle. this is wrong.
How old is your son? If he's small, make sure he knows what he can and cannot do. He cannot take the fish out of the water to show his friends, he cannot share his snack and juice with the fish b/c they look hungry ect...(don't laugh, it's been done).
added the genesis drops for chlorine
:eek:
Why is there chlorine in your water? Are you using tap water? Please don't. Use RO/DI water. Don't use tap water. It's bad. :mad:
I have a test kit for ammonia ,nitrate ,ph .How long do I wait before I try the test?I must sound pretty lame huh. I just did exactly what I was told.
Do the lights sit right on top or do you or can you raise them just alittle over the glass like setting the corners up on lil blocks of wood. chat back soon
Right now there is nothing in the water to test. you just have saltwater right? everything is zero. After you add uncured live rock or a dead shrimp, the tank will start to cycle. We tested every week, but our lfs tested for free. I'd wait at least 2-3 before testing since you bought the kit. that's my opinion.
You can raise the lights a little, I've seen them hanging from the ceiling on some tanks.
This can be a very time consuming hobby in the start...depending on what you set-up, it may always be time consuming.
Good luck. Please ask questions here, before believing what your lfs tells you. It may save the life of a fish/invert.
I agree with Lesleybird, go buy a fish book. If you don't want to buy it, go to the bookstore and read it, or check your library.
Sid2003 - whose's butts is your football game going to kick on November first? Cage the Tigers pins and tee-shirts are all over here. It's funny, if we play anything like we did last week, the Bulldogs will be Tiger food. I'll be stuck at LSU in about 2 years (Law School). Is it really as big as they say?

spearfish

Beware of lfs, many are out just to make money.
I thought the whole purpose of having a business was to make money?

spearfish

I prefer cushed coral because that way it looks more natural and sand is a pain when it gets full of algae and crap on it. Crushed Coral you just vaccum once in a while.
Plus it has natural buffers that sand does not have. I think sand is for lazy people.
Also go ahead and toss some fish in and do not forget to add some live rock. Soon your fish will be smiling at you when you go feed them.
In two weeks your tank should be ready to go. I personally purchased a few fish (Yellow tang, Nemo ) after my "so called cycle" ended after about a week.
Also Anenomes make fine pets. I have an Atlantic Anenome that put in my tank after about a month. It is still alive and and thriving. Eats fish.
Good Luck.

I

iluvfish

Roo-
IMO you could go ahead and add the LR (not corals of any kind) and then you need to wait - buy some test kits, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate - and wait for your tank to cycle. Some people add damsels or dead shrimp which will help this process happen. (This usually takes about 3 weeks minimum, I think) But if you use your tests, you will know when it occurs.
I agree with Sinner's Girl about the sand - best way to go. IMEO, I started out with CC and UGF - HUGE mistake. Took me 6 months then coverted and I love it! Now have LR with a DSB and I can already tell a difference in my tank.
The key is Patience, patience, patience. Hard for most of us!:) Please don't add anemones or corals now!
You might want to ask another LFS or find a book about saltwater tanks before you go any farther. The conscientious Marine Aquarist is a good book to start with.
GOOD LUCK and welcome to the board!!!
Spearfish - I'm afraid you've probably started a big debate!
:eek:

oregonbud

Iluvfish - just ignore spearfish - he was here about a month ago posting nonsense, he has nothing better to do then get drunk and try to start up trouble.

S

sinner's girl

Can I say to ingore other members?
Please don't add Anenomes until the tank is established and you have the right lights and enviroment for them. Even then some here will say not to get them.
The key is research! And patience. Don't trust lfs until they prove you can trust them. If they told you to use tap water, add fish and use both cc and ls...I wouldn't trust them.
Chances are your tank will take longer than 2 weeks to cycle.
I'm done with my input. Your tank, your choice (I stole that), but remember, these are living creatures, treat them with care as you would any other animal.
Good luck

sid2003

sinnersgirl- Yes LSU is HUGE! I do have to say though Florida kicked our butts! Where in LA do you live?

polyformist

I can speak from a newbie's perspective ;)
First welcome aboard =) I to am a very new hobbiest. What i can say is that you are going to hear allot of different oppinions. Let me tell you of my adventure so far roughly 1month and a few weeks in =)
I have started a 55 gallon tank that I am planning on turning into a small reaf tank for clowns and angels (non-agro type) I have been so called taken under an very experienced hobbiests wing and walked through the proccess. Here is what I have been told to do, hope this helps.
First I started with the task of mixing my salty water as all hobbiests do. I mixed my water to roughly 1.020 on the chart doing 5 gallons at a time, from 1.019 to 1.023 I think it was. I was told to keep in mind one major factor. It's much easier to RAISE the content than to LOWER IT ! Also was told to never mix in tank always in bucket, let stand for 30min, and then re-mix water at room temp. roughly.
I got a 40pnd bag of crushed coral (florida stuff) and lined bottom of tank atop my filter plates.
I have 2 power head 300's one roughly 1-2" from top points to center front of tank. And other 1-2" from bottom of tank pointing more so towards the front of tank to disturb the current.
I placed to chunks of good ole fashined pitted and cave like rocks that take up roughly half the tank placed almost center, I am getting a larg peice of Blue/White Corral (dead) about the height of my high power head for one side of tank and leaving the other side to start brush, anename on per my fish elder's advice.
I let this set and cycle for about 3 weeks, Once I saw some of my chem's ballancing slowly I placed 3 black mollie's into tank to frankly Poop All over and get my algea's started. I also got a baby food jar of already nested algea's from my elder's tank to help the proccess. :D
(Blacks were $1 appiece and i did loose 2) :(
After about 2 weeks I had lost a moly but the tank was growing like mad. At this point I took water samples into my elder's facility and he worked with me showing me the rope's of chem testing. Everything was perferctly ballanced at this point.
I then proceeded to order a small bag of Living sand to help the growth of other algea's in tank and to help my bed become smoother for future additions of anenomea's and such.
3 weeks ago i added 2 yellow tail damsels, they are doing great, and about 1 week ago I added 2 Seabay Clowns. also swimming very happily. Only as of recent have i found a drop in alcali. levels, With aprotein skimmer incomming in just 2 days, I will be working on my tank to help ballance and clean.
So far I am on my way to not haveing to add chemicals to sustain my tank, and if what my elder tells me is true, then my tank although longer winded, and more work should never need chemicals to keep ballance wich is how the ocean really works. I will be sending in photographs soon so I can get recomendations. Figured I best wait until I have something to show, and have proven my tank to be alive. I the next 2-3 weeks I will be finishing my tank with 2 angels, a small amount of living sand, like 5 - 10 pounds max, some living rocks, and then the plants and erchens. all slowly so as to not imballance my tank.
I hope this info. helps with your tank. And remeber, nothing good comes of building a tank fast, patience will produce the best results. Also remeber every oppinion on these boards needs be taken with moderation, includeing the moderation :rolleyes:

liz50138

First of all, ignore spearfish, and for the most part, your live fish store. Here is some info on mixing your salt water. Thanks to whoever posted this a few days back. I copied and saved it into my fish folder.
Aerating the water while mixing does a couple of things that are beneficial for your tank and aid in a proper balance of elements in the finished water.
First of all you are starting with "dead" or unoxygenated water...Water form a well or in the pipes of a city system is generally not exposed to air (contamination reasons) so it comes from the faucet (or through your RO/DI) with a relatively low DOC (dissolved oxygen content).
Dissolved oxygen is what the fish "breath" and aerating it for a good period of time adds this "breathable' oxygen back.
Secondly when mixing salt to water you should aerate the water for a period of time BEFORE adding the salt.
There are actually two points here...If you have ever looked at the threads on alkalinity and calcium you've seen how they need to stay within a specific balance of each other or they combine into other forms and precipitate out...one gets too high (saturated) and effects the other...
By adding the salt to the water you are mixing at diluted levels and bringing them up to the specific gravity level they will remain in suspension...
If you were to start with the salt and add water to it you would have a super saturated mix that would react to itself and some parts would precipitate out as calcium carbonate.
The second point is related to the first in that specific carbon dioxide and oxygen levels are needed (not present in un-aerated water) to keep the calcium and alk/buffers in suspension.
This is why "NEW" salt water is considered "chemically unstable" and should be mixed AND aerated for 24 hrs. prior to adding to your tank... In order for all "balances" to come in line and any precipatate to "fall out" in your mixing bucket and not your tank.
It does make a difference and your fish (and corals) will thank you for it.
You can aerate the water by using air stones or a powerhead.
My second piece of advice is to get a nitrite test kit. What they mean by a tank cycling is that right now you have "dead" water. When you add something that will decay or produce waste into the water, this produces ammonia, which will start your cycle. Ammonia is very toxic to all fish/inverts. To break down the ammonia to make the water safe again, there is a bacteria that has to establish (nitrosominos, or something like that) that will break down the ammonia and turn it into nitrites. NItrites are also toxic, but not quite as much as ammonia. Now you'll have to wait until a different bacteria establishes, it's called nitrobacter. This will turn the nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates, for the most part, are safe for fish, unless the levels get too high. This is why you need to do a water change. Some recommend doing it every week, every other week, or once a month. But the general rule of thumb is 20-30% water change once a month. You can do a search on the different theories if ya want.
You'll also have to decide what type of tank you'd like, fish only, fish only with live rock, or a reef tank. Personally i would wait 6mo to a year before going with a reef tank, just so you can get the hang of it. I'd recommend a fowlr (fish only with live rock) tank because the LR adds added filtration to your tank by harboring good bacteria. Since you do not have any fish in your tank right now, you could add as much live rock as you need all at once (about 1- 1.5 lbs per gallon) But, if you do not want to buy it all at the same time (it can become expensive, like everything else in this hobby) you can add about 5 lbs at a time. Also, you can add base rock ("dead" live rock) with some LR and the LR will sead the base rock. (same thing with live sand and argonite sand) Your ammonia will go up slighty by adding the LR, then the nitrites, but nothing to be too worried about. Just a mini cycle. When the ammonia and nitrites are back down to 0, then you can add more. Well, hope this gets you off to a good start, and we applaud you for researching before jumping right in. I work at ***** the other day and a guy was trying to buy a one gallon tank and put yellow-tailed damsels in it. He then got mad at me after i told him i was not going to sell him any fish unless he bought a 10gal tank minimum. He also said that he didn't have any "luck" with freshwater fish so he was going to try and go with saltwater. There is no such thing as luck in this hobby.