New tank, pest control & adding 1st coral???

Hello reefers, here's the situation. Took my live rock out of my tank and manuly removed some vermetid snails (evil little spawns) So this is a brand new tank 4 weeks old & It cycled in about 2 weeks (rock came from a 10yr + tank at LFS) all I have is part of my cleaning crew - hermits/snails hitch hiker feather duster in the tank currently but I was hoping to get a coral & 1st fish (help with some other pest) if all my stats are fine in the morning. Is this a smart move or should I wait? Does removing the rock do anything to my tank?

The liverock is your biological filtration. It's extremely beneficial to your tank. By removing it, you're essentially taking out most of the biological filtration, but it should be fine as long as you put it back before it dries out.

Oh yes sorry I didn't certify, the rock wasn't out of the water for more than 10-20 mins. I just removed it to try and kill the tube snails and didn't know if from removing the rock it would effect my system somehow. I'm new to the hobby and would rather be safe than sorry before adding more livestock

Your liverock should be fine then, and actually, I haven't set up my first tank either yet. But I have been doing tons of research and I know people with saltwater tanks. You can probably add a shrimp, skunk cleaners are a popular choice. Peppermint shrimp are a popular choice because they usually eat quotas is (little pest anemones). Coral banded shrimp are mean little guys, and they don't like to get along with other shrimp. How big is the tank?

I have a 29gal biocube (we did our own filtration no bio balls) I do plan on adding some shrimp. In fact I was debating between adding the fish or the shrimp tomorrow, I'm trying to get some hitch hikers under control before I start added my planned livestock & coral. I didn't want to add the shrimp with our cleaner crew (snails/hermits) just because they are more sensitive and this is my first tank so I'm just trying to be careful. My tank cycled insanely fast and it's just catching me off gard :D

It might be because the rock from the established tank already had a decent quantity if beneficial bacteria on it, so the tank cycled fast.

silverado61

A word of caution: Nothing good happens "instantly fast" in saltwater tanks. I would wait a few days before you add any more livestock and keep testing the water (assuming you are testing). If the rock was out of the water for twenty minutes and you added more rock there's certain to be some die off of bacteria and tiny critters in the rock. Wait for a week or so and test for an ammonia and nitrate spike before you add anything else. Good things come to those who wait.

pegasus

Agreed, Silverado. Killing the vermetid snails should have left some tissue behind. As this tissue decays, and anything else that was killed in the process, there will probably an ammonia spike. I'd recommend waiting a day or two and test your water to see if ammonia and nitrite spikes. If so, wait for it to go back to zero and check you Nitrate level. If there is no spike after a couple of days, you're good to go. I hate delays, but it's much better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you and honestly I didn't even think about the die off other than my hermit crabs might get an easy meal. Unfortunately I didn't get to read your guys posts until after we already made a trip to the LFS :confused: I have been testing my water like crazy just because the tank did cycle fast and I will continue to do so in case of an ammonia spike. My livestock seems to be doing well and my pair of clowns are even hosting my feather duster (came w/ rock) I will put my plans on adding more livestock on hold and give my tank some time. I really do appreciate all of the advice, thank you!

One question though: I use the API master test kit and I sometimes have problems distinguishing colors. It there a kit I can use for ammonia that might be more accurate?

mandy111

Thank you and honestly I didn't even think about the die off other than my hermit crabs might get an easy meal. Unfortunately I didn't get to read your guys posts until after we already made a trip to the LFS :confused: I have been testing my water like crazy just because the tank did cycle fast and I will continue to do so in case of an ammonia spike. My livestock seems to be doing well and my pair of clowns are even hosting my feather duster (came w/ rock) I will put my plans on adding more livestock on hold and give my tank some time. I really do appreciate all of the advice, thank you!

One question though: I use the API master test kit and I sometimes have problems distinguishing colors. It there a kit I can use for ammonia that might be more accurate?
Saliferts Good price easy to use & consistently accurate.