New tank pics

extremepcs

I FINALLY got my Internet Explorer issue that was preventing me from posting pics fixed, so here are pics of my new tank. 125g with a 55g sump/fuge combo. 1 week in to cycling and all seems to be well. I built the stand myself, strong enough to park a SHERMAN tank on it

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Nice.
Journey, your a mod, wouldn't these pics be better in the pic forum???....hint...to move?

extremepcs

Sorry... I thought that forum was for like underwater photography or something, like scuba diving pics. Should have actuall y read a few posts.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Journey, your a mod, wouldn't these pics be better in the pic forum???....hint...to move?
:thinking: :notsure: :thinking:
Eghh... I'm new...
Hehe, actually, since it's a new tank and all I think it's fine here. Especially with all the visitors we're getting. This seems to be the forum with the most traffic.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by extremepcs
Sorry... I thought that forum was for like underwater photography or something, like scuba diving pics. Should have actuall y read a few posts.
Not that we don't love your pics, but people go to the picture forum just to see pics. Your post will be apreciated even more over there!!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
:thinking: :notsure: :thinking:
Eghh... I'm new...
Hehe, actually, since it's a new tank and all I think it's fine here. Especially with all the visitors we're getting. This seems to be the forum with the most traffic.
LOL you silly journey, it will not get the appreciation it deserves in this forum..................HINT!!!!

michaeltx

you can repost in the photo forum that way eveyone can see it. but since its a new tank then its in a good forum to show new hobbiest what you have.
Looks good though.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
you can repost in the photo forum that way eveyone can see it. but since its a new tank then its in a good forum to show new hobbiest what you have.
Looks good though.
Mike
Mikey likes it, lol =!!!! You may want to show it over there, but it is cool here as well to show others what you have.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
LOL I hear that one alot

Sorry mike, couldn't resit :jumping: (sure you hear that as well)

azfishgal

Wow, we have to talk!!! :jumping: I'm working on getting a 125 gallon reef ready tank and my husband is going to build the stand. I love your stand, so maybe you can show me how you built it. Do you have plans you can email me? Also, I noticed you had a 55 gallon tank for a sump, probably cheaper than buying a $300 acrylic sump. From what I remember the sump for the 125 tank did not look like it was the size of a 55 gallon tank. Is that what you had on hand or is that the size a 125 gallon should be using?
More pics!!!! :cheer: (I'll check the picture forum just in case you posted more there.)

1knight164

Nice setup. What kind of wood/stain did you use. I'm also looking at building a new stand and canopy. Also, did you DIY the sump/refuge? Great job!

extremepcs

Originally Posted by azfishgal
:I love your stand, so maybe you can show me how you built it. Do you have plans you can email me? Also, I noticed you had a 55 gallon tank for a sump, probably cheaper than buying a $300 acrylic sump. From what I remember the sump for the 125 tank did not look like it was the size of a 55 gallon tank. Is that what you had on hand or is that the size a 125 gallon should be using?
Hi,
Sorry... No plans. I winged it. I just took measurements of all of my stuff and built a 2 x 4 shell (4 x 4 corner posts). The first frame I built was not tall enough. I realized this afterwards, when I bought my 25" tall skimmer
I used half-lap joints, waterproof poly glue, and lag bolts to attach everything. I covered the shell with 3/4" oak plywood on the top and sump shelf, 1/4 oak ply on the sides. I left the back open. The front face frame is solid 3/4" oak, as are the doors.
The sump is "custom". It's a standard glass 55g tank. I used 1/4" acrylic sheets from my home center for the partitions. I probably have less than $100 in the sump itself, not counting the equipment.

extremepcs

Originally Posted by 1knight164
Nice setup. What kind of wood/stain did you use. I'm also looking at building a new stand and canopy. Also, did you DIY the sump/refuge? Great job!

Thanks. The face frame and doors are solid oak. The skeleton is made up of 2 x 4's (pine) covered with oak plywood. I used Minwax red oak stain and 3 coats of a marine grade gloss urethane, meant for wooden boats. No issues with salt residue so far. It just wipes right off. I plan on building a matching canopy soon. I have a glass top now.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by extremepcs
Hi,
Sorry... No plans. I winged it. I just took measurements of all of my stuff and built a 2 x 4 shell (4 x 4 corner posts). The first frame I built was not tall enough. I realized this afterwards, when I bought my 25" tall skimmer
I used half-lap joints, waterproof poly glue, and lag bolts to attach everything. I covered the shell with 3/4" oak plywood on the top and sump shelf, 1/4 oak ply on the sides. I left the back open. The front face frame is solid 3/4" oak, as are the doors.
The sump is "custom". It's a standard glass 55g tank. I used 1/4" acrylic sheets from my home center for the partitions. I probably have less than $100 in the sump itself, not counting the equipment.
Thanks! I had my husband read your reply and we like the idea of spending less than $100 on the sump. I think we will definitley go that route. My husband is pretty handy, so I'm sure he can build the sump using your idea. He was even saying earlier to use 4x4 for the corners of the stand to make it strong, so nice to see someone else also have that idea. And I'll learn from your mistake and get all my equipment first, before building the stand.
Thanks! Can't wait to get started!