new tank precautions

tompenz

Going to set up a 92 corner tank with all the live rock, sand etc. Its going to be on the 1st floor of the house. does anyone think with all that weight, that I should do any re-enforcing of the floor joists in the basement or am I just being overly paranoid? I've heard some people put jacks under the joists or is that only for bigger tanks? For the record the home is in excellent shape with no problems with sagging floors etc. Thought i would ask before I start setting it up. Sounds to me it will be well over 1000 lbs when done. Thanks, just registered and it looks like a great site

ricks280

wellcome to the site tom,
if your worried about it just put a full size 20mm board under the fish stand so that it spreads the weight along and you will have no problems. hope this helps and keep us posted.
(rick)

murph

There should be no problems with a tank that size. I would be more worried about the floor covering. Hopefully it is ceramic tile. This is the only material that will last in the vicinity of a fish tank that size given water changes set up etc. Take my word for it. Especially salt water.
Make sure to level the tank. Check for level again a few months down the road and you will know if there has been any settling.

tompenz

Thanks for the ideas. Half the area is ceramic tile and half is carpeted, so I like the idea of the board underneath. i am also thinking of drilling a hole through to the basement to have all the "stuff" located there instead of under the stand where it would be easier to work on etc.(ouch my back!) Getting back into the hobby after I packed all my rock and coral away years ago. The newspaper that was wrapped around it was dated 1997, been gone long enough. Boy, with all the research i have been doing, the hobby sure has come a long way!

madman133

it should be no problem i have 2 30s and 2 55s on the 2nd story of my house above my garauge with no reinforcements and everythings is fine. (all fairly close together also)