New Tank Question and help

ryenye

All -
I recently purchased a used tank and sump from somebody and have a couple questions. First, is it set up properly? What changes would you recommend to the sump? Also, it is almost done cycling, when and where does the protein skimmer go? The last protein skimmer I had was a hob, and it was horrible. I attached a diagram of what it looks like now, remember I am not an artist by profession....lol....Thanks

mr_x

are you going to have a substantial amount of live rock in the display? if so, i'd remove the bio-balls from the first chamber, and put an in-sump skimmer in there(what are the measurements of the first chamber?).
i would also purchase a single pump that will return water, or use just one of those pumps if they are strong enough, instead of having 2 pumps. you don't need the extra heat and electric.

ryenye

It is a 150 gallon and have about 175lbs of live rock in it. The measurements of the first chamber are: 12" wide front to back, 7" wide from end to 2nd chamber, and 17" deep

aquaguy24

yeah put the skimmer in the first chamber..u don;t need bioballs..are u gonna be using a filter sock or anything..it might help lessin the noise from water splashing..2 pumps are fine just in case one gives out the other one is running..that happend to me couple days ago.one of my return pumps gave out luckly i had two so it kept the water going..and no overflow..

aztec reef

You should remove all the bioballs asap before your tank cycles, put skimmer as recomended above and if u have room u can even make chamber #1 same as chamber#2, just for kicks..(Unless you're getting an in-sump skimmer)

mr_x

but chamber 2 has a deep sand bed. the water intake will make a mess out of it.
if your return pump gives out and your sump overflows, you built it wrong. i think you will be thankful for 1 less pump when you are trying to keep the tank water cool.

ryenye

Tank is already cycled. Do I just remove a little at a time until they are all out then replace with protein skimmer?

darren0311

Not sure how much room you have in that 1st chamber, but i would put it in there, Depending on what type of fish you are going to have I would Scrap the Bio Balls, If you are going to have any type of Preditor fish ie: lions, groupers, EELs and such You will need some kind of Bio filtration even if you added some small pieces of LR in that chamber after you add the Skimmer..
hope everyone agrees with me on this one

mr_x

he's got 175 pounds of live rock in the display. i wouldn't put rubble in with the skimmer. you'll have to access it to maintain it from time to time.
i would remove the bio balls all at once.