New Tank Questions

pattycake

Hi all!
First, let me say that I have been monitoring this site for 3 weeks and want to say how impressed I am with all the knowledge. It is all your fault that I have decided to do a SW tank! (I have been wanting to do this for quite some time) I have done the first few steps and I have searched to find the answers to my questions but I have had no luck. Therefore, it has forced me to sign up.
Now for the questions. I have a 55 gal with a Skilter? 400 skimmer, 19 lbs of LR and 33 lbs of baserock. I did the shrimp thing, and checked my ammonia, level is 4.0. Am I going in the right direction? How often should I check my ammonia level again. I understand it will go to 0 and the nitrites will rise and when it falls to 0 I can start with a cleaning crew and maybe a few fish. Is this right so far? :)

acez28

well i wouldnt recommend getting fish or a cleanup crew till everything rises and falls. But yeah the ammonia will spike first, and then the trites. Since you are cycling maybe 2 times a week will be effiecient. This is the boring part and you have to have ALOT of patience....but yes you are heading in the right direction.

T

tizzo

:yes: Doin' good so far. Usually takes about 6 weeks for the cycle to complete. I would advise however that you either start saving for or go out and buy now a better skimmer. Personally, I had good luck with the skilter, but it will die pretty quickly. Salt creep in the air intake, motor locked up, etc...
By the way...
WELCOME!!!!!!:cheer: :cheer:

pattycake

I was afraid of the skimmer. It was a case of listening to the fish store. I have not had problems with it yet. But when it dies I will look for a Euro-Reef (seems to be the preference on the site). Thanks!

T

tizzo

Yeah, it was the LFS that had me buy mine also... He says to me, "Look, even I use one!" And it was true, he had one on his little reef tank. So I thought "It MUST work!!" Now as I look back, I realize that it worked for him because he had it on a coral tank...no fish at all. He had a coral/fuge thing going on in the same tank. I need one of those, "smack myself in the forehead" smilies... :)

T

tizzo

Nope... Do you have a heater and powerhead?? Or rather, powerheadS??

leona

No, You should wait to do any water changes until the cycle is complete. Then a 10% water change. If you keep changing your water then you will never complete a cycle. Your taking the needed stuff like ammonia out of the water..
Leona

pattycake

OK, no water change. I do have a heater, keeping it at 78-80 degrees. I have been watching water circulation and can't make a decision if I need one or not. Had to LOL when you said your LFS had skimmer set up, that's how i bought mine!!!
I feel I will end up doing a powerhead I think it will make the water look better. Also, stupid question/cant find answer, can someone explain what LR is?

T

tizzo

LR is a piece of rock that has already been through a cycle at some point in time, and is currently covered in the beneficial bacteriathat serves as filtration for your tank. If you get a lot of critters, that's a plus but that is not what deems rock "live". And YES by all means get powerheads!!! My little bro had a fish that was in terrible condition (his tank was too small for the fish anyway) but he had no powerheads (PH's), so when he thought the fish was about to die, he gave it to me to "fix" I put him in my qt, he hovered right in front of the ph for 2 days, then he started eating and swimming around the tank. Which was also too small for him, but I gave the fish to a guy with an 8 foot tank and that fish acted happy as a clam. My point... The ocean has currents...so should your tank!:)

acez28

yeah do a small water change after the cycle completes. i did have a small spike afterwards but it only lasted maybe a day or 2.