New Tank Setup Question

sdascher

All comments are appreciated. I have a 125g reef tank that is healthy and has been up and running for approx. 2 years. It has LR and crushed coral for the bed. My problem is that I have yet another 125g tank that I want to make a fish only. I have seen the displays that has white sand/bleached rock (or bleached tonga branches) with min. inverts. Maybe some snails, a starfish or maybe a CBS - which I already own in yet another tank ( a 45g that I am giving to my son). I also have some of those tiny white starfish. I want this set up so bad!!! No LR - Can I start with 1" of reg. white sand, bleached rock, and possibly add 1/2" of live sand on top?????
I now have 2 empior 400 bio wheel hang on filters that I want to replace with a XP3 Filstar Canister filter. I also have reg. strip lights that will hold the 30W bulbs and I also have 2 96w smartlamps. The lighting I have figured out - I don't need the VHO lighting for a fish only. I have been doing a lot of reading, asking friends but I am not getting too much info. They all have reef tanks or just don't know. Maybe I am making too big of a deal about it, but I want to take several months in building a healthy tank for possibly a pr. of puffers, not really sure of the type of fish that I want. I question the LR because I read in a book that you really don't have to have LR, for a Fish Only Tank, just another means of beneficial bacteria to form, which could be inside the filter using Bio-Chem stars etc. ??? I was told by a friend that I have to have LR. Please tell me if I'm crazy or not!!! Any idea would be super!!!! Thanks.

T

thomas712

As to the live rock, you do not have to have it in a fish only tank.
However, it is much better with it. Even for a puffer. How would you like to live in a room with no furniture? I'm of the feeling that with each pound of liverock you have your filtration increases just a little.
I would make this suggestion. If nothing else look for baserock to add to your tank. Then just put in a few pounds of liverock on top of that.
I do not see why you would want to remove your penguins and put a canister on. The penquins would do a wonderful job of keeping the surface water broken up for the gas exchange. I'm just not that fond of cansiter filters for main filtration.
Any chance of adding a wet/dry or sump to this 125? Did you plan on a protien skimmer at all?
What type of sand can you get ahold of? You should look to see if you can find any of the Southdown Tropical playsand if you can find something like that then the 1 1/2 " to 2 inch sandbed sounds fine.
Thomas

sdascher

Thanks Thomas,
I have Seaclone skimmers on all of my tanks - I love them!! After working out the "leaking" problem that I had with every one of them, they are great skimmers. The reason I wanted to replace the hang on filters is because of the inside pluming is sort of an eye sore if you know what I mean. They are great filters and I am using 2 of those on my reef tank/ one one the 45g and smaller bio wheels on the 20 & 10g tanks.
I have lots of base rock and lots of LR - the base rock I can use easily, no problem - I also can put in a few pieces of LR - if I need it. My hubby just liked the display tanks that he saw in a store last year and went out and purchased me another 125g thinking that I could figure it out!! ( I'm not that sharp!! ) As far as adding a sump - I have no idea what I would be doing with that- as far as how to!! I have read a lot about it, but I don't get it - I understand the benefits, but I don't understand how to!! Drilling holes/ fittings pumps etc. is all French to me - Pysically putting it together! You might have a hard time believing this, but every one that I know that has a reef - has a hangon filter and no plans or some have no funds to upgrade. I have just gone with what I do know and what they have already worked out. They really don't know any more than I do. My local fish store does not support helping with setups etc. ( I personally don't know how they stay open!!)
The sand - I should be able to get ahold of just about any kind of sand, there is a Marine Scene (Great SWF Store!) approx. 25 miles from me & the internet is a great place if I can't find it there!! They would help me set up - but they not only charge a lot - I live in another county so they won't do it. I can alway's shorten the intake part of the hangons so that it doesn't stand out so much. Right now they are both long and 2" from the bottom of the tank. Thanks for your comments.

sdascher

Thomas, Sorry - I missed the wet/dry question, Yes, I can purchased one of those!! What do you think of the Eheim Wet/Dry filtration - no holes to drill, no complicated plumbing, no risk of water overflow - That's my kind of filter!!! Model 2229 for up to 158g tanks!! Would this one work in place of the hangons??
Comments welcome!!