New tank setup second times the charm

X

xmenx2dad

I have a 16 gallon hexagonal tank that had been previously setup for salt. Went on vacation and came back and everything in the tank was dead. Now i am starting all over cleaned the tank and everything, refilled with waterAny suggestions on setup and after it cycles, what sort of stock can i have in this size of a tank? I have a small powerhead for filtration and circulation, an additional air pump and stone and a normal factory type fluoroescent light. I have crushed coral for a substrate and 2 pieces of cured live rock.

symon

take the crushed coral out and the airstone, use some live sand, marine tanks don't need an airstone, you circulate the water causing the surface tension to break which brings air into you water, if i am not mistake an air stone can actually harm marine fish

X

xmenx2dad

I have a underground filter that is hooked up to the powerhead

maxalmon

If your using a CC bed and it's not too thick you could leave the UG filter inplace, It'll take a little more diligence in controlling the feeding and maintaining the tank, but you could make it work. You could also reverse flow the UG filter by having the PH blowing INTO the tube, this would force water up thru the CC and would flush any detritus into the water stream, IMO I would also use some type of HOB mechanical filtration was well.......OR......you could remove the UG filter and replace the CC with LS to depth of about 2"....Either method will work....Jim

b bauer

like maxalmon said a under gravel will work its an out dated system but works.also with the cc do water test more often.also try to keep a high flow in your tank.I like around 20x for a good flow.