New Tank setup

robvec

Hi all, this is my first post. I really like the website.
I currently have a 20 gal long tank (30x12x12) that is not setup yet. I plan on having 2 inches of sand as the substrate with a few live rocks, inverts and a few fish.
I was wondering what you recommed for filtration. Should I invest in a hang on protein skimmer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

sillynecco

here is all i can tell u.... make sure u have enough sand 2-3 inches and make sure you dont skimp on the live rock.
introduce fish slowly, check levels frequently. everyone says the main problem is going to fast. it is true, and it is really hard and tempting wehn you see all those cool fish in the fish store.

fishmamma

Hi and welcome!!
Definately add as much live rock as your budget will allow, shoot for a good 20 pounds initially if you can. I run a 16 gallon and a 29 gallon with Bio-Wheel hang on filters (larger than is called for gallon wise to increase hourly rate of water turn over- go for the 30-50 gallon size filter if you use a hang on type) and Aqua C Remora hang on skimmers. Again, when it is in your budget add a skimmer, you won't be sorry. Also you may want to add a power head or two to get good flow through out the tank and avoid having 'dead spots' in the corners and in between the rock.
Some people are very against bio-wheels since they believe they are nitrate factories but I have never had any problems with this.

sharkboy97

I have the same tank as you with a Aqua C remora PRO and a penguin 350 power filter i custom made it so that half is a refugium and half runs carbon , and the water is absolutly perfect

fishmamma

sharkboy- slight hijack here.......been toying with doing the same to my filters, what did you use to make compartments and how often do you change the carbon?

jmick

Welcome to the boards! I think you may want to look at going with a half inch or less on your sand bed or go with a deep sand bed of 4-6 inches. IMO, a 2 inch sand bed is not deep enough for adequate denitrification to occur and will slowly collect nutrients which will become an issue down the road. However, if you are set on a depth of 2” make sure you have good strong water flow, which will help keep detritus suspended in the water column, which your skimmer will pull out.

J

jdragunas

jmick, how is it different to have a 1/2" sandbed and a 2" sandbed... won't detrius collect on both???

J

jdragunas

ah jeeze, i'm so rude! Welcome to the boards!!!
I'd suggest getting a good wet/dry filter or canister filter. The best kind of filtration you can have is LR (live rock), though. LR houses bacteria that works as a filter for your tank. I'd also suggest getting a protein skimmer. Hang on is fine, but if you get a wet/dry filter, you may be able to find one that will fit in there. I have a proclear aquatics wet/dry filter that came with a built-in protein skimmer. It works great, and i've never had a problem with high nitrates or anything.
If you find you're getting confused, i'd say the first thing you need to do is purchase a book called "the conscientious marine aquarist" by michael fenner. This is the mother of all books for saltwater aquarists, and should be in every household. It tells you everything you need to know about setting-up and maintaining a saltwater aquarium!
Good luck, and i hope we help you out. (you may notice on this website we get off track very easily, but that's ok, just remind us why you posted the thread, and we'll jump back on in no time... lol
)

jmick

The problem that you have when your sand bed is say ½ ” to under 3” is that it’s not really deep enough to reduce nitrates and it’s to deep to be aerobic and it can result in a nutrient sink (this is a very bad thing).

J

jdragunas

oh, ok. I didn't know that. Well i only have about 3/4" so i'm ok.

And by nutrient sink, you mean, it collects stuff and just holds it there, and when you stir the sandbed, that "stuff" gets released into your system?