New tank setup?

jadallen

I'm looking at getting a 150gl-200gl reef tank setup. My question is can you negotiate prices of the equipment with the local fish stores (since I am going to be buying so much)? Has anyone ever tried? Also, when buying live rock will the stores typically give you a discount when buying a large amount? Same question for the sand. Thanks in advance for any help.

ray28576

You are way better off to get LR from the internet, SWF.com. You should probably be able to get your petshop to give you a deal if you buy enough.

phixer

Id certainly try, concur, as a plug for this site they do have some decent prices, theres also and active DIY forum here if you would like to try your hand at making some things.

steve24

my LFS would only give me a 10% discount if i bought my stuff there

i ended up buying almost everything off the net and saved more then that after adding shipping, so here is to my LFS ...

3m

I say take your time and really do your research, the best price isnt always the lowest price. find out what you want and what you'll need. look for the most bang for the buck, quality, and durability. if you buy a $20 PH and need to replace it every year and you could have spent $40 on a better make that lasts several years. Research the net compare prices see what you can find and then buy.

grilai

I did negociate price in two stores, I just bought a corner tank and save my self 200 dlls. same brand.

fishy7

Originally Posted by Jadallen
I'm looking at getting a 150gl-200gl reef tank setup. My question is can you negotiate prices of the equipment with the local fish stores (since I am going to be buying so much)? Has anyone ever tried? Also, when buying live rock will the stores typically give you a discount when buying a large amount? Same question for the sand. Thanks in advance for any help.
Hey Jadallen,
When I bought my setup I negociated my way through the entire process. If you buy all your equip from them they should throw in a considerable discount. For instance, I bought during their MAY sale last year. 25% off all eqipment plus I pay what they paid for the tank. Not a bad deal. I compared prices and I made out pretty well. I noticied you are close to Houston. I am close to dallas. My LFS is getting ready to have their BIG FIRE sale in June. (lfs caught fire early May) If you want me to give you a contact I can share just drop me an email.(rkingtxtx@yahoo.com) If this does not work, find your LFS and see if they have big sales and that is the time to strike and make your best deal.

Good luck