New Tank Setup

sarge

Hi everyone,
I have a few questions about my new 125g tank am about to setup. This is a drilled dual overflow tank. I will be migrating from a 75g setup. It's been awhile since I set the 75 up and need some help on the following:
Lighting has been the biggest hold up, very expensive for MH setup so I think I will start out with a PowerCompact setup. Would this be okay for starters on this large of a tank?
Protein Skimmer: Can I use the one I have now or do I need a bigger one? It's a Seaclone 100.
Wet/Dry system or Canister filter? Right now I just have a sump with a skimmer, UV sterilizer and heater in it. No filtration, just live rock. Be fine for over 4 years but I see many people using some type of filters now.
Big question, what kind of return pump/pumps should I get? I assume I need two pumps since I have two overflows.
Do I stick with a DSB or has that shifted to something else these days?
I apologize for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this right since I am on a budget.

mandarin w

Originally Posted by Sarge
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions about my new 125g tank am about to setup. This is a drilled dual overflow tank. I will be migrating from a 75g setup. It's been awhile since I set the 75 up and need some help on the following:
Lighting has been the biggest hold up, very expensive for MH setup so I think I will start out with a PowerCompact setup. Would this be okay for starters on this large of a tank?
A power compact would be ok . Now if you are wanting to de a reef set up. The pc will only work for you soft corals, not anemones, SPS, or most LPS
Protein Skimmer: Can I use the one I have now or do I need a bigger one? It's a Seaclone 100.If your Seaclone actually works for you then it will be ok for a 75 gallon, I just never could get my Sea Clown to work for me at all.
Wet/Dry system or Canister filter? Right now I just have a sump with a skimmer, UV sterilizer and heater in it. No filtration, just live rock. Be fine for over 4 years but I see many people using some type of filters now.
A sump is the best way to go. As far as setting it up, you can do it however you want. I don't understand how you would keep a seaclone on a sump since the seaclone is a HOB skimmer and you don't want to keep you sump filled to the top. You need to leave room in your sump incase of a power outage for the overflows to drain back to the sump.
Big question, what kind of return pump/pumps should I get? I assume I need two pumps since I have two overflows.
One pump will be all you need for your return, just bring your return line from your return pump, and use a "T" on the top, then each line will go to a separate return line.
Do I stick with a DSB or has that shifted to something else these days?
DSB are still the norm around here. They are tried and true.
I apologize for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this right since I am on a budget.
Don't worry about all the questions, Rather you ask before than later. Plus that is why we all are here

teresaq

Just want to say hi, but sorry Cant help very much.
PC unit should be ok, depends on wattage and what you are keeping. do you have a canopy? a lot of people are going to T5s instead of mh you might research that in the equipment section.

f14peter

Originally Posted by Sarge
I have a single overflow, so no direct experience with two. Not sure what the preferred approach is, although I imagine you could go with a single pump as long as it's powerful enough to provide close to 1200GPH back into the tank (Presuming two overflows at 600GPH/per) accounting for headloss due to the split and height.
I have heard that one larger single pump is more effecient, electrical use-wise than two smaller ones, but again I'm not 100% on that and that may not be a concern.
However, if you do go with two pumps, on seperate GFIs, if one trips then at least you still have some flow through your system.
Of course this all depends upon what you want to keep in the tank. Some corals are okay under PC lights (one LFS has PCs on one of their holding tanks where the less light-dependent corals are and they seem to be doing fine, very vibrant and healthy looking). T-5s might be a better choice if you want more options in what corals you can have, and they're less expensive than MHs (some T-5 fixtures are comparable in price to PCs), and of course are cooler and use less juice than MHs.
How's that for writing a lot without probably providing any real answers?

cveverly

What are you going to keep in the tank?
I use T5 lighting on my reef and it is better than compact florescent but not as good as metal halides in my opinion. Having said that my LPS and softies do very well. I have some less demanding SPS that do ok.
My FOWLR only uses normal output florescent bulbs but I do have a pair of power compacts I turn on when I want sit and watch the fish for a while.
Once again depending on what you are putting in the tank I would replace your skimmer. I feel a skimmer is one of the more important pieces of equipment in this hobby.
If you are going to do a reef tank having a sump is a great option in my opinion. I added a dishpan inside my sump to make a remote DSB and my tank has a shallow sand bed. If you are going to have a FOWLR you may want to use a wet/dry. I do but I think I am one of the few. I use my wet/dry in line with my sump.
You will only need one return pump. Just get a good one. The size depends on what your sump is doing. If you are just using it for extra water and a place to hide your equipment then get a hiflow pump. If you are going to use your sump as a refugium or remote DSB you may want to consider a lower flowing pump.
Personally I don’t like a DSB in the display but a lot of people have great success with them. I do have a small DSB in my sump on the reef but not on the FOWLR. I doubt you will get a right or wrong answer on this one. One other option is bare bottom. I kinda have this in my FOWLR tank. All of my live rock sits on the bare bottom and I have an area about 18"x18" that has no live rock. I put a VERY shallow bed in the open area. That is where I feed and my cleanup crew is always in that area.
Enjoy your upgrade!

azfishgal

:help: OK, I'm a newbie so be nice. What is DSB? :notsure: (I know I'm going to feel pretty silly after I'm told.)

fedukeford

DSB=Deep sand bed
if you want to save money, just go with MH's from the start, why bother buying a PC setup if you know your going to eventually go with MH?
feduke

sarge

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I plan on keeping fish, some corals and anemones. I have read up about lighting on the boards today, seems like I should just start with the MH's.
Is there a particular brand I should look at or stay away from? Is Coralife or Current any good?

mandarin w

You can set up so many ways. If you are handy, and know how to do a little wireing, you can save a ton of money, and get exactly what you want for alot less than buying a light unit. Some of those are good, and some are bad, and some are even fire traps. Need to be carefull, look up reviews on whichever one you decide. If you are handy and like building things yourself, there is a good DIY forum here that can give all kinds of help on what to get, and how to build. There are pluses and minuses with Metal Halides and T-5, in the end it will come down to a matter of preference. MH at the right wattage you can keep almost anything you want. MH gives the tank a shimmer that T-5's or Power compact just can't give you. But MH run alot hotter than T-5's, so you will have to watch the heat in your tank. They are more expensive to run. T-5's run cool, they hardly ever heat up a tank. Are not as expensive to run, so you save money on the electric bill. You do have a large choice as far as corals. You can keep an anemone with T-5, at least most of them. But there is not the natural shimmer. Most hobbist once they been in the hobby for a while just can't give that up. That is the main reason MH are still so popular. Do some research about each of the lights. Check out you local fish shops and see what type of lighting they are using and see if you like the look. Once you decide on T-5's or MH, start your search from there.