new tank setup

noogiefish

Hi. I have recently set up a 200g tank w/wet/dry, etc. I have begun to stock it, first with damsels ( hlaf of which went down the intake tube) then a louti grouper (who ate the other half), and most recently a red lionfish. I was thinking of the following lineup, though i am not sure about the shark because of everything i have read here about them. Any advice would be appreciated...
padddlefin wrasse, yellow tang, sailfin tang, emporer angel, clown trigger, snowflake eel, banded shark. Any other advice regarding larger tanks would as well be appreciated- this is a bit of a step up from my 30g. bmclees@aol.com

Ya the banded shark gets like 3 or 4 geet, so you would hafe to get a bigger tank for it.But your other fish seem ok.

skirk

Absolutely does not seem ok! You already have a lion that can get about 15" long, a grouper that I'm not sure of size but am sure gets large. Adding to that a decent sized wrasse, yellow tangs (we know the size of) at least 6", a sailfin tang capable of 15", an emporer angel (which you definitely shouldn't get with these fish and your experience, or what I think your experience is) that can be very hard to care for and gets up to 15", a CLOWN TRIGGER coming in at up to as much as 20", and a snowflake at 3 ft. WOW! That adds up to about 126" of full grown fish. Lets even assume they don't get that large and say 100" of fish. That's alot, and to add a shark to that is out of the question. Sorry if this sounds rude cuz it's not meant to be. Just an eye opener into what I wouldn't want you to make the mistake of doing. Also, once tank gets too cramped the CLOWN TRIGGER is gonna take care of that problem for you. He is probably one of the last fish you want to put with some of those other fish (like the tangs, wrasse, etc). Tangs do bad under stress and would not go good with that agressive of a fish and a grouper and a lion.
P.S. Once again I don't fault you, but rather am arguing the first advise you received stating it would be okay and merely stressing my opinion. Wow, a 200 gal. You can have a lot of fun with that.
P.S.S. The tanks too small for that set up and some of those fish are better not being put together. I personally wouldn't put the clown in there, nor mix him with a lionfish. But if you do get a clown then keep his roommates more agressive then some of the fish you have chosen. It could get ugly. HTH and just my 2cents. :eek:

cactus jack

what is up with all of you talking about max sizes of these fish in every topic? have you ever had one of these fish get these big? have you ever seen one this big? or are you just going by some book? these fish take a long time to get that big. the guy has a 200 gallon tank. that is pretty darn big. if he wants to keep certain fish for a few years let him deal with them accordingly when they get too big. replace the clown trigger with a niger, bursa, pink tail, because they are more community friendly. but you could probably get away with it.

noogiefish

Thanks for all the responses. I get the opinion that this is a touchy subject! ANYWAY, my priority really is the emporer angel, i'd love to see it change its colors. I have had my 30g salt tank for about 5 years now and have been pretty successful with a blue tang, lemonpeel angel and a lion- until i picked up a diseased eel that wiped them out. I have had some experience with triggers, i have an undulated now in the 30g that is about a year old or so. Given this experince, naturally now i have to have the clown- especially considering all i have read on this site about them. I figured i'd add him last. The undulated has been getting more aggresive lately- thus the sailfin tang- i thought he'd move to the 200g, but honestly, his coloring is not the best i've seen and he doesn't have much personality- so maybe he'll be the one to go. I've been wondering what kind of moster i have created with the louti, he's my first grouper and to give you an idea, he's already 4" or so and i just got 10 rosies for dinner that i thought would last him and the lion about 4-5 days. I had to feed them 9 to get 2 into the lion, so now the grouper looks like he (or she) is pregnant. He may prove to be a problem, so i thought i'd put him in with the undulated about the time i bring over (or boot) the sailfin. I kinda figured the shark was out- nice thought though, they are really cool. Thanks again.