New Tank / Stand / Canopy

28fishman

There are 2 doors that have glass, the reason for this is, when the AquaFuge is put in it will line up and be centered with the 2 glass doors and will be able to be seen easy. With the 65 gallon tank with fuge, about 4 weeks ago a niece came over and since I leave the stand doors open to see the fuge, some M&M's got put in it.
The stand and canopy cost me about $75.00 dollars to build, I work at a lumber yard and use lumber/plywood that had been damaged. The actual cost was for the hinges, knobs, brackets and stain.
Stand uprights are made out of either (2) 2x4s screwed together or 4x4 fir post, the top and bottoms are made out of 2x6's and 2x8's. These are screwed together with hanger/brackets. The bottom is covered with 1/2 plywood. The sides and doors are made out of cabinet grade 3/4 inch birch plywood. Stain is Minwax, custom mix of Ebony and Special Walnut. The inside and outside has 4 coats of Polyurethane.
To test the strenght of the stand, I used a forklift to lift 1 hack of 2x4's 8 ft long, 1hack =(294) 2x4x8's. I sat these right on top, held easily, then put another hack on top of the 1st hack, it still held with no issue's at all. A hack of 2x4x8's weigh about 2600 lbs, so it was able to hold 5200 lbs of dead weight.

mag395

wow, that's a lot of weight! What would you have done if it failed the test and broke into pieces?

28fishman

Based on the strenght of the wood, I figured there was not a chance of it breaking into pieces, and if for some reason it did, I would have just built another one. I worked on the building of it during the lunch hour and it took me about 30 days to cut and assemble and stain. I tested it for the weight and then brought it home and polyureathne it and then built the canopy. Still working on the electrical side and plumbing side of it.
Have to figure the tank empty weighs about 350lbs, you put in 300 lbs of sand and 250 lbs of live rock, there is about 900lbs without the water, figure about 150 gallons of water for displacement (weighing in at about 1200lbs for water) add all the equipment / lighting and canopy figure another 125 lbs. You have about about 2200 lbs of dead weight.