new tank temp...fish died.

jayrascoe

Hi..
I'd appreciate any response.
I've had a 45 gal bowfront tank since june 5. bought a cheap heater, that i was using as a thermostat (i.e. when the temp drops, it kicks in. ) 3 weeks ago, i bought a cheap thermometer. it showed that the temp was 80 plus. i unplugged the heater, and still it shows 85. i don't have serious lighting yet, so the temp shouldn't be high. also, the lights are off 13 hrs a day, to rid the tank of cyanobacteria (red slime).
the thermometer has always shown high temps. lost a damsel over my vacation. i suspect that the temp is too high. one of my two corals is suffering, but it's an odd variety, so i can't give an accurate analysis on it.
the thermometer always reads 80 +. do i have a bad thermometer or what?
my lighting is some cheap crap. the lfs told me it was suitable for freshwater or marine. i've learned through you guys that my lighting isn't sufficient to maintain serious corals.
if you've ever heard of the brand, it's a JEBO tank. when i looked it up, it turns out to be a Japanese freshwater company.
Sucks because i intended to have a saltwater tank, but the setup is based for freshwater.
can't even throw a protein skimmer in it.. it's a beautiful tank, but I'll probably have to yank the hood out and find a halide lighting setup that doesn't match up.
Frick it, all i wanted was a sweet saltwater setup that i could work with and set up. i'm pst at the fools that sold it to me...
i've kept my parameters nice.. no ammonia or nitrates.
i got into this hobby in full force, and i hate the fact that i spent a lot of money on a damn freshwater tank.
sorry to vent, i just want to have a nice coral tank with some critters in the sand. i'm not even interested in the fish so much-ideally , my dream is to build a self -sustaining environment.
wish i could start over. Kudos to those that do their due diligence before they make the plunge.
i don't understand why my aquarium temp i"s so high. i've got a conservative light setup that came with the og setup.

ka0z4allu

The difference in freshwater tank and saltwater tank is that most saltwater tanks are reef ready meaning that they have a built in overflow and come predrilled for drains and returns. But you can get plans for a diy overflow which would hang on the back of your tank and allow you to setup a sump for your skimmer, heater etc. And you can return the water with pvc over the back of the tank. As far as the temp goes, you could try blowing a fan across the water which will help cool the tank, Although I wouldn't think that heat would be that much of a problem with no lighting upgrades. Also your lighting if it is normal output flourescents then it would be sufficient for fowlr tank, but you would need to upgrade that for keeping most corals. HTH :)

belothsurf

Originally posted by jayrascoe
Frick it, all i wanted was a sweet saltwater setup that i could work with and set up. i'm pst at the fools that sold it to me...
wish i could start over. Kudos to those that do their due diligence before they make the plunge. [/B]
"Join the club"....we've all said that at one time or another...... :happy: