New Tank???

bjgwilliam

I am in the process of setting up my first tank. I have a 46 bow with 150w metal halide. I have placed live rock into the tank and have noticed small worm like animals coming out of some of pourous holes. They look like worms but I am wondering if they are corals of some sort. Up until 3 days ago they seemed to react well to the light buy now they look as if they are dying.
Any suggestions? I am not sure if I am killing them or if this is normal or do I need to place some type of food supliment into the tank.
Thanks from a very enthusiastic novice

B

big911dog

if your tank is cycling, theyre probably peanut worms coming out due to the ammo and/or nitrites. most will die during the cycle.

bjgwilliam

My tank is cycling. I am 18 days into it. I have started a brown groath on the rock and Argonite. Is it possible to add anything at this point or should I wait the full 6 weeks?
Thanks..

mj

That brown stuff is most likely diatoms, which usually signals the tail-end of the cycle. The next thing to add is the 'cleaning crew'. Make sure you check your levels before you add anything. Just remember, if you think you are going slow.......slow down.:happyfish