new tank!!!!

M

mykrofon

ok i ot this tank 4 days ago used for $40 bucks............first of i dont know how many gallons it is and seondly what type of lighting would i need? how many inches would the hood have to be? it is 30" long but its like diamond shaped so i dont know if this effects anything?

nofish4u!!

someone tell me if I am wrong, but this looks like it would be a nano tank. I think you would be able to get a bunch more help if you post these pictures on the nano message board on this site. They might be able to help you out more.

M

mykrofon

the measurements of the tank are as followed width=25 length= 30 height=25

M

mykrofon

dont worry its ok........but is there any advice you could give me as to what light to use or the size of the hood etc????

nofish4u!!

JMO- I would go with a 250 watt heater, lighting- you want to go 3-5 watts per gallon (so around 165-275 watts for your tank), I can't help ya out much with the hood part. I have a glass top for mine. I know glass tops are more popular to help with reducing salt-buildup on your tank (something you might want to consider). Have you thought about filtration? Sump/fuge..etc?

M

mykrofon

no not yet i am new to this so can you please list more or less what i would need? and what kind of brands to use?

M

mykrofon

oh and should it be metal halide? POWER COMPACTS? ETC.........

jr2857

Originally Posted by mykrofon
can someone please help!!!!!
just so you know 1sq.ft equals 7.48 gallons

nofish4u!!

Metal hides- great for deeper tanks since they produce a very intense light that penetrates much deeper in water than can flourescent lighting, but they (like other lightings) have their drawbacks. They can get exceptionally hot, which you would need a cooling fan to keep the temperature of the tank down. They are also more expensive to purchase and operate than fourescents.
IMO- I would go with flourescents because of price and options. If you have the money and time- go with metal hides. I would do more research online before making a descision on it.

ruaround

Originally Posted by mykrofon
the measurements of the tank are as followed width=25 length= 30 height=25
V = L x W x D x 0.00433 so 30x25x25x0.00433 = 81.1875 gallons
did you measure from the point in back to the flat glass in front? and then side to side?
IMO a more accurate measurement would be from the center of one of the long pieces (along the wall) to the center of of the opposite diagnal front glass...this would be done twice for L & W...I dont thinkyour tank is an 82 gal tank...
the only real way to do it would be take it to a hydrant (faucet, tap whatever you call it) and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket...then start filling your tank and time it...
EXAMPLE: it took me
10 min to fill a 5 gallon bucket, so if it took 1 hour to fill my tank it would be 30 gallons...60 min / 10 = 6 x 5 = 30

M

mykrofon

thanks for your replies guys............oh and one last thing how much sand and live rock do you think i would need? anyone know a cheap place to purchase all this stuff like lights,sand,rcok,etc in hialeah florida or online?

ruaround

Originally Posted by puffer24/7
u meant 10 seconds right?
this doesnt matter its an example...you actually have to time how long it takes...i stated minutes for easy computation...i could have said it took me 4.93 min

multiples of 1 or 10 are easy to comprehend...