New tank

H

hogwild

I've just purchased a new 75 gallon tank and want to set up a reef system with a few fish. What, exactly would I need for lighting (what kind), filters (what kind), how much live rock and sand? And any suggestions on the type of living stuff for it? I've read the books, but would like some specific ideas from the experts here.

redemptioner

Knowledge is good, but the right knowledge and choice is even better.
Just one thing guys, lets not give "must do it this way" ideas plz, everyone needs the choice to go they way they find easiest.
On lighting, the rule of thumb is 3-5 watts per gallon, although this changes depending on the height of the tank, it easy to run with for beginners. There are 3 main types of lighting;
One is MH which was mentioned already, which is good for sps, but they are hardder to get the colour ranges. The big thing with this type of lighting is the fact that you don't have to worry about the height of your tank. These are VERY expensive, but often the way to go. I use these on my 300 gal setup, due to the height of the tank.
The second is PC (power compacts). These are great for begginers and advance hobbist's. They are more expensive than VHO's and NO's, but the give a VERY high out put for what they are. Cheap by a long-way compared to MH on both price to buy and price to run. Bulbs can be expensive though. You only need 1-2 of these bulbs on an average to large tank. They are often supplimented with WHO's, but don't need it
The Third is made up of two types of Fluro's:- VHO (very high output) fluro's. These have a maximin tank height of 20 inch (thies is from the sand to the top of the water). They are cheaper, and easier to get a selective colour range. They also give a better 'total' coverage of the tank. The main hate towards these and NO (normal output) fluro's is the number of bulbs needed to get the right wattage, usually 3-4. Many of the ppl MH have to suppliment with VHO's to get the right colour ranges

:- NO's (normal output) fluro's. These are the cheapest way to go, but often the hardest to get setup. Most setups consist of 5-9 bulbs, and this can make it a large challange to fit in a hood. Cheaper t run, easier to maintain, and easier to get a hold of, alot of beginners choose this. I myself use 7 NO's over my 60/20/30 gal system. It makes it VERY easy to control colour ranges, and also makes it very easy to use simple ( I mean a couple of $9 timers from the harware store) to create dawn and dusk cycles.
Get as large skimmer as you can reasonably afford. This I belive is a must for beginners. This also goes for live rock, but you can choose just how much you want here. Try for around 1-1.5lbs per gallon (once again this is affected by tank dimensions).
As for live Sand etc, you will have to choose which way you wish to go. I would say put some sand in, and then seed it with LS.
As for a filter, just get a large sump if you can, and fill it with Liver rock and Live sand, and keep it well lit. I also recomend acarbon.
HTH (email me if you want more info Redemptioner@yahoo.com)
Ash

H

hogwild

Thanks guys. Ordered tons of books and will read up as much as I can before I start spending money. I found a saltwater only store in town here and have been over there almost daily asking questions and looking at their reef tanks. Budget is not a problem, so I will get the best I can in equipment. I decided to set up a web page with photos from start to finish and to outline my experience with this. I will keep ya'll posted!

H

hogwild

See, that's the idea. I can snorkle and watch tv at the same time!

the rock

the rock says...
i agree with redemptioner except for the protein skimmer comment, if you don't have many fish all the protein skimmer will do is compete with the corals, so i would suggest only a small one or none at all. live rock and live sand are a great idea

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to know how I can get a LARGE tank into one of my rooms...down a narrow hall into a side room? Guess I'll have to knock out a window when it comes right down to it and get it in that way! Have any of you guys had this problem?? Suggestions?

kris

Try standing it on end. Odds are it is not longer than the height of your ceiling or wider than your hallway and it's the only to get it to turn corners. Of course then again if you're planning on one that's big enough to snorkel in...well you're on your own.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That was a good idea, Kris, but actually it would have to be no higer than the door it is going through, rather than no higher than the ceiling....that would cut down on size by a couple of feet.
[I'll keep this in mind for my snake tank! They go in aquariums too
]

y2j

Read everything you can...Read some of the posts on this page its got a lot of insight on everything. Good Luck!!!

H

hogwild

Ok, having read nearly every book about this hobby, magazines and discussion lists like this one, I ordered through my LFS an Oceanic 110 gallon reef ready tank, ProClassic 3 sump, 4 VHO with Ice Cap Ballasts, Berlin skimmer, 2 Rio 2500 Power Heads, Quiet One Pump, and all the other goodies that go along with a new system. I got lucky in that the owner of my LFS is very knowledgeable, and the college kids that work for him are all marine biology majors at the University here. It will be delivered in 3 weeks. I made a web site http://www.themoneypit2000.homestead.com to document my new adventure, I will post the specific equipment and prices along with photos there. Thanks to everyone here who helped me.