new tank

zero1870

Originally Posted by SiNaLOa213
i bought a 95 gallon tank and i am going to do reef. what kind of sump would be the best? Please help.

a wet/dry sump is highly recommended by proclear aquatic systems. i'd also use a protein skimmer along with it as well. some of the systems have the skimmer built into it. that's my recommendation.

happyvac

A refugium.
Basically a sump with a section devoted to the cultivavation of macro algae (an algae that consumes the excess nutrients in your tank) and pods (an important food source for certain fish, like Mandarins).

happyvac

I can't recommend it. From what I've read over time they just produce more and more nitrates, so you'd probably be better off ditching 'em.
Bio-balls serve the same purpose as LR in the sense that they cultivate nitrifying bacteria. You really don't need bio-balls or LR rubble if you have plenty (1-2 lbs. per gallon) in the main tank. If you're a little on the low side, just switch out the balls for some rubble.

saltfan

Originally Posted by SiNaLOa213
any body reccomend a sump with bio-balls
Not for a Reef set up.

saltfan

Originally Posted by HappyVac
A refugium.
Basically a sump with a section devoted to the cultivavation of macro algae (an algae that consumes the excess nutrients in your tank) and pods (an important food source for certain fish, like Mandarins).
LS in Fuge, LR and some MAcro will do nicely.

turningtim

Originally Posted by SaltFan
LS in Fuge, LR and some MAcro will do nicely.
Sump/fuge hands down the way to go if you want a reef........