New Tank

woolfe

I posted earlier saying that I put my LR & LS into my tank. Can someone please tell me how long it takes before I get to see the rock that cost me $500.00? LOL Also what do I do next? I know I have to wait a couple/few weeks but I'm very excited about seeing anything. What do I do with myself in the mean time? LMAO I did do a test tonight after the rock & sand was in there for about 5 hours. This is what I got for readings.
PH 8.4
Ammonia .50
Nirite .25
Nitrate 10
Can anybody tell me what this means, if it's normal, what are ideal readings, how to correct abnormal readings, etc. Thanks!

jesikarose

woolfe said:
I posted earlier saying that I put my LR & LS into my tank. Can someone please tell me how long it takes before I get to see the rock that cost me $500.00? LOL QUOTE]
What freaking kind of rock did you buy??? If its in your tank why cant you see it???
levels should be ammonia 0, nitrites 0 nitrates 0 in a perfect tank... temp around 80-82 from i have been told and salitiny depends on invents corals and stuff
when your going through your cycle there is nothing you can do until its done... and then you can do a 20% water change to lower the nirates

sign guy

welcome to swf.com
imo throw some raw shrimp in your tank. this will give you a stronger cycle and a larger bio load
what kind of filters do you have?
traits 0ppm
trites oppm
amm oppm
ph 8.2
temp 75 - 85

sign guy

just let every thing go for a month befor you try to change the prameters after your amm and trites read oppm do a water change

jesikarose

Sorry i just reread my post and i sound really rude i appoligize... i just dont get $500 for rock...what is it a lb for you and how many pounds did you get... sorry if offended you...

woolfe

No offense taken. Don't worry. You did sound rude though.................. LMAO Just playing. It was 4.49 per pound because I bought so much. It's normally 6.99 per Lb. I put 110 lbs into my 90 gal set up and the sand is what made things so clowdy. I dumped in 130 Lbs of that.

jesikarose

ohh alright.. i guess i just got lucky with mine.. got it out of any established tank... 50 pounds for 50 bucks.. and 25 for a bunch of sand... Then I got a peice of 8 lbs tonga for like 4.50 and dont worry sand will settle in a day or so as long as you dont go messing up everything... i finally aftr two days got mine cleared and decided i hate the way the rock looked... moved it and instant sand cloud

woolfe

LOL I think I have the rock where I want it still. Not sure though because I can't see a thing. I set up the rock first then dumped the sand in. The structure I built seems pretty solid................... Guess I'll have to just wait & see.

woolfe

Wooooooo Hooooooo I got up this morning and I can kinda make out the rock structure. LMAO doesn't take much to please me I guess.

S

saltfreak4

You guys are really cute. I was thinking the same thing, what the....how come this person can't see the rock? Makes sense now. Good luck with the set up. The rock structure won't keep you happy for long, just don't put any fish in there until you have completely cycled.

hatessushi

Imo I wouldn't put anything in the tank. Just let it cycle on it's own since you put LR in it. It doesn't need any dead shrimp to cycle.