New tank

jf

I am new to saltwater tanks. I am getting a 55 gal glass drilled, not sure how big I should have them drill it. Is one overflow enough?
I want to set up a fish, live rock system for now. What size pipe should I use for the overflow and return?
What size of sump do I need? I have a couple smaller aquariums on hand, 10 gal and 20 gal, I can use.
Also how much water movement will I need in the tank, can I use the return to achieve this "current"?
Thanks in advance for all the help,
Jeff

memphis

Originally Posted by JF
I am new to saltwater tanks. I am getting a 55 gal glass drilled, not sure how big I should have them drill it. Is one overflow enough?
I want to set up a fish, live rock system for now. What size pipe should I use for the overflow and return?
What size of sump do I need? I have a couple smaller aquariums on hand, 10 gal and 20 gal, I can use.
Also how much water movement will I need in the tank, can I use the return to achieve this "current"?
Thanks in advance for all the help,
Jeff
The ways to do plumbing are numerous to say the least. I personally went with 3/4 pvc. My return is a quiet one 4000 pump (ohhh this is my 55gal btw...) On this I use an overflow box (no drilling) but one should be fine. I would highly recommend the 20 gal. There are many reasons but the more volume of water in the system the better. With no corals you can get away with less flow. I would say adding a powerhead to the return should do just fine. You want at least 10x flow so you can be the judge. Have a good one!