New tank

herbbie

Hello everybody! I'm going to be a new reef enthusist soon!! We actually started a DIY 125 gallon reef tank about 14 years ago, which we had running for about 6 months. During our move, our tank cracked, and now 14 years later we are ready to go at it again. Our old tank was the beginning of our learning, but we've forgotten most everything, and know that there are many advances in the hobby since we were at it. We've visited all of the reef system stores in our area, and have found one that looks like the person we will set our tank up through. His tank and rock was in excellent condition, and he's got about 30 years into the hobby. We've yet to speak with him personally, but I'm sure that we will be using him quite a bit in our set up.I'm also reading and surfing the web to get the "in the trenches" information, which I think is the most valuable. I'm researching the pro's and con's of all of the equipment available out there, and we have a feel for where we will be going with most stuff. Here's where we are at: We are in the process of building a new house right now. Originally we were looking at a free standing 180 gal tank, but have found an ideal location to build it in. There will be plenty of room benind the tank that we can move freely to work in the tank. Our builder will be getting us estimates next week on how much it will cost us to move in that direction. Ideally, we would like to do that, unless anyone here feels the built in's are a big mistake. Also, we will probably be able to start setting the tank up 4 - 6 weeks before we move in. We have an RO system in the house we currently live in, and I don't know the daily capacity, but is it OK to set the empty tank up, and add the RO water as we produce it?, or do we have to have all 180 gallons ready to go when we set the tank up? Does anybody see any problem with getting the tank set up before we move in, or should we just wait until we move in? The set up would strictly be for water conditioning only, not for stocking with live animals. I'm sure that I will have a zillion more questions as time goes on here, but I would appreciate any insight anyone might have on our particular situation. I'm also going to read through as many topics on this message board.

Welcome back to the hobby.
Here are a few things I would consider in your situation.
1. I prefer built in tanks. Provided all structural issues are addressed I see no problems just preference. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of room and a little to expand :)
2. Depending on the quality of your local water RO may be OK and I know some people that use it but I prefer RO/DI. Typically the conditioning of my water consists of making it and adding salt mixing with a powerhead for 24 hours and then using it. As for filling the tank up as the RO unit makes it....thats the way I like to do it. Fill it with fresh water as my RO/DI can make it. Once full turn on the pumps,skimmer etc and check for leaks then add the salt (fixing any leaks first)
3. As for setting the tank up early (4-6 weeks)I would advise against it. While building the 180g "in" would be fine I think you should wait to add water and turn on the filter system until after all construction, painting etc is complete to avoid possible contaminates reaching the tank. Besides it helps if you are there to monitor things even without fish or livestock.
HTH
SiF