new tank

kathyc

I just found a 55 gallon that is set up and running that I am buying. It has fish in it now, but I am not getting those, and live rock and sand ( I am getting those). My question is, can I keep some of the water in it now and add the water from my 30 gallon and put my fish right in it?

t316

I have moved a 55 gal. before, from one town to another, and set right back up, fish included, so yes it can be done. Personally, in your situation, I would allow a few days minimum before adding your fish (since you have a place for them now) to allow everything to settle and stabilize from the move. This is assuming that you are going to leave the sand in the tank during the move. If you are removing the sand, you will create an ammonia nightmare, so in that case I would wait a couple weeks and only add the fish after you have tested the water.

flower

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3115702
I have moved a 55 gal. before, from one town to another, and set right back up, fish included, so yes it can be done. Personally, in your situation, I would allow a few days minimum before adding your fish (since you have a place for them now) to allow everything to settle and stabilize from the move. This is assuming that you are going to leave the sand in the tank during the move. If you are removing the sand, you will create an ammonia nightmare, so in that case I would wait a couple weeks and only add the fish after you have tested the water.
+1
My .02.....sand is very heavy...so don't try and move the tank across town with anything in it. It could break the seams and cause it to leak, it has been done I am sure...but it is not wise. Just be patient...wait the 2 weeks, it will be better in the end.