New Tank

demosthenes

Well, I've been gathering filtration and equipment for a couple of weeks for my soon-to-be 20 gallon Reef. I just added the LS from my 75 and also the LR from the 75 also. All filters have previously been used, so I'm hoping for little/no cycle. It will house a pair of Percula Clowns, hosted by a Ritteri Anemone. I may or may not add a Diamond Head or Engineer Goby. For other coral I plan to add xenia and mushrooms, keeping it simple. Below is the current setup, what do you think? Any forseeable problems? Any current problems? I'm wary about adding a clean-up crew as I'm afraid they may damage/harm the Ritteri, or vice versa. Should I add a clean-up crew, and if so, what should it contain?
20G Standard
175 W 20K MH
2 Hagen 402 PHs
Whisper 20
SeaClone 100
65 lbs LS
30 lbs LR

Demonsthenese, good talkin' at you through the IM.
Just a personal oppinion, I do not like the whisper filters. Not much UUMFFF. They get clogged up quickly and the flow slows down pretty quick. I personally like the Emperor line of filters. They have a button to push when you feed. It stops the hard flow so as not to get the food in the filter, which also alleviates the nitrate factory that everyone accuses power filters of. All and all, if you are going to use a filter such as this, the benefits of the Emperor outweigh the whisper.
Like I said, just a personal oppinion.

stacy

I agree on the filter. I have had very good luck with the emperors. I see that the lighting you have is a 175 watt MH. On a 20 gallon I would be concerned about the evaporation and heat that this can generate. I would look to add a supplimental lighting, and run the MH for just a couple of hrs. per day. Constantly having to top off the tank can cause fluctuations in salinity and temp that could cause some problems.

I agree with Stacy on this point. You could also put in a computer exhaust fan to help on this. I even had to install 2 fans on my 55 gallon, to keep it cooled down. This is with just one metal halide and two small normal output flourescents.
And I have very good air conditioning in the house.

demosthenes

Thanks, as for the Whisper, I already had it when the tank was FW, and just had it on soley, until I could get the other filtration, and this way I have a tad more circulation, and can expose my water to media when needed. Mainly the Berlin Method, but tweaked a little, by having the power filter. As for the MH, I've built it myself, and have two high-powered fans in the hood, and it's 6" from the water, plus a glass cover, and there's no canopy on the tank, so the heat can escape easily. I've got my room set to 65F, so that should help. Thanks again. Any more suggestions?

demosthenes

Thanks. It feels good to have the know-how to setup a tank the right way. I was so confused the first time around.

I was confused also. When I first set up my reef, I did it with only 2 normal output 18" flourescents, and made many wrong choices. Thank God for the LFS that caries books. It was before I had a computer and the internet.