New Tank

cjpaske

Here are some pictures of my first saltwater reef tank along with stand I built in about a week.
I have saltwater already mixed and all the readings look good. I have a refugium in the bottom of it and I put a bag of that arganite live sand into it.
I am ging to purchase my live rock package from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I will not be able to order the package before two weeks. Any suggestions on what I need to do with the tank during this time? Can I be cycling it? What delse do I need to add?

aggie05

The live sand will start to cycle it. I would add sand to your main tank now though. It doesn't have to be live sand since you have some in your fuge. That way you have somewhere for the bacteria to start growing in the tank. If not just let the live sand in the fuge cycle it and then when you get your rock it will go through another mini cycle.

acez28

i am not for sure but when he get some LR wouldnt that make it cycle again because it will be so much he will be adding?

jcsurfn

The LR wil start the cycle of will start another cycle sence it has been out of the water for a few days. So I would wait and do the cycle with the LR.

cjpaske

Thanks for all the help. I do no this much , from everything I've read here I will take it slow, to much money tied up in it already.
Thanks again all, will keep ya posted...

flash7954

Completely different subject here, but that is a great looking Stand and Hood. I wish I had the talent to put that together

twicklund

Very nice looking stand. Congrats on the craftmanship. How big is the tank? What's your fuge/filter setup?
Looks like you have put a lot of thought and effort into the tank so far...Keep up the great work.
tw

cjpaske

My tank is a 55gal reef ready, I have pictures of the fuge but having a difficukt time attaching, it's a 20 gal tank. Water comes in thru a filtered chamber, up and down thru a couple dividers, flows over the ls/lr slowly back over and under more dividers to a chamber were it's pumped back into the tank.

robn70

Very nice looking setup...If you live in the North East you can pick up a bag of southdown tropical play sand from home depot. and then seed it with a smaller amount of live sand. At least you will save some $$$. as a 50 lb. of the play sand will run you around $3.00 a bag.

cjpaske

I built it myself, from taking all the information and ideas everyone has here on the site, hope this can help someone else out like it did me.

killafins

excellent job, seriously... and i m not just trying to be one of those blah blah good job people. For a first aquarium u should be exulted over ur achievements.

twicklund

You asked for advice on the fuge..I would add more sand to the DSB...The more the better...I would do at least 4 inches. I have seen setups with 6 inches, but 4 seems to be the norm...
Man, again, I love your setup...Very impressive. I can't wait to see that tank this time next year!!
tw