New Tank

ssandalson

I currently have a 29gal freshwater tank that I am interested in changing to a reef tank. I have a 75 gal saltwater tank already up and running with success.
First question, is this tank size workable?
Second, what do I need for initial set up and are there any issues I should be addressing prior to set up?
Third, any suggestions on setting up this tank and its elements would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tammy

ssandalson

I have one more question, what are my limitations with this size tank regarding corals, anemonies, etc? As well as cleanup crews?

sandman12

a big issue is money with a reef tank mucho dinero,big bucks,$$$$$,If u have it me amigo then its all good(mabe u can give me some)

T

thomas712

A 29 is very workable.
question, do you want to set this up as an entirely different system or is there a possiblility of linking the two and using the same filtration?
For instance if you have a sump or fuge on the 75 you could link to the same filtration and give the 29 the benifits of the larger system. Course the drawback is if one system has problems then so does the other.

T

thomas712

A 29 Gallon could use up to, or around 45 pounds of live rock, I prefer no more than a 2 inch sandbed, and maybe 6 to 10 turbo snails and same number of scarlet hermits. Anemone should wait until the system has been set up for a year in my opinion, but thats just my opinion. With an anemone you will need good water conditions as well so a skimmer IMO is a must. On a 29 a regular water change should be implimented on a regular basis.
Perhaps you could have an external overflow system that leads to a 10 gallon sump with submersable return pump.
Lighting will also be a concern with an anemone. I have had great success with 380 watts of VHO lighting in a 55 and a 90 gallon, and I have 4 BTA's but I would like to upgrade my lighting.
So VHO or PC lighting will be needed IMO.
Thomas

jonthefb

in a 29, if you can swing it id throw like a sinfle 175 watt hqi mh and that would be the only light that you would need!
good luck
jon

ssandalson

Thomas712
Would I need to locate the new tank right next to or near the 75g tank to link the two water systems? I was thinking the second tank (29g) would be on another floor in the house.
My lfs has told me I can move the two damsels that are in the 75g tank to the new reef tank for the initial cycling then leave them after everything is up and running well. Is this true? These damsels were the same ones used to cycle the 75g tank upon setup as well.
Thanks for all the input everyone. You are wonderful!

jumpfrog

I like the size of a 29 and I think they can make excellent reef tanks. Large enough to accomodate a wide range of corals and less expensive to light. Can't do many fish though. If you can, opt to use a sump system from the start. Only thing in the tank then is the overflow, rest in the sump. I'm not a fan of cycling with damsels so not my recommendation. Use some frozen shrimp and/or uncured live rock.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

kappadoku

No reason why you couldnt use the damsels as the cyclers on the new tank... as long as you can catch the little ba$tard$ to move them over =)

T

thomas712

ssandalson -
Well if you are going to have it on another floor then I would keep them seperate, to big a pain to link them if seperated way too much.
No problem to cycle the new tank with the damsals if that is what you want to do. I still prefer the dead raw shrimp method.
If you are going to cycle with live sand and fully cured live rock then you may find that this will be an easier, shorter cycle then maybe you had in your fish only with only the waste of the two damsals.
How were you going to use sand and rock, base or live?
Thomas

ssandalson

I actually planned to use both live rock and live sand for the new tank. As well as use the 2 damsels. This is what I did in my 75g and it seemed to work really well.
Is this ok to do for a reef tank as well? If not, what are my options?
"How were you going to use sand and rock, base or live?"
Im not sure I understand the above question, please explain.
Thanks for all the help Thomas.

doodle1800

I had a 29 for 3 days, never took the stickers off it, never filled it. Looked at it and ....took it back and exchanged it for a 55. But I don't have a 75 either, like you. :)
here it is under construction..