new tank

salty

I have just started a new tank and today I added 3 yellow-tail damsels fish. I would like to add a shrimp, how long should I wait? Also what is my next step before I add the big fishes?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't make the mistake that so many do by adding TOO much too soon. Right now, you're on the right track with the damsels. Don't add anything else until you tank is completely cycled, and then wait another month after the cycle is over before adding anything new.
You don't say the the size of your tank, so its hard to say what you add next. I just know that you will regret it very much, if you do not go slowly in adding livestock. When you do start adding, add only one specimen at a time, wait again for a couple of weeks to assess the impact of the new addition before adding.

kris

I agree with beth- the number one mistake is going too fast. After your tank is completly cycled then add one thing (whatever you want) then wait another few weeks before you add something else. Your tank has to go through a mini-cycle after each addition to make sure your bio-filter is keeping up with the new load. Good Luck.

the rock

the rock says....
add whatever you want, as long as your tank is set up properly and your levels are excellent you won't have a problem, add a bio booster in with new additions and make sure you have the right set up

fishgirl

How big is your tank? Do you want to keep the damsels or just use them for cycling? Is your tank cycled now, or being cycled? Maybe you should add all the fish you want before you add that shrimp, because you may change your mind after finding out that a lot of the coolest fish don't mix well with inverts. (A.k.a they eat them.)