new tanks

ryand

ok i have to manage two tanks one for the docters office and one at our school. i am wandering if i should put in the live rock and live sand first and then like spounges and corals and snails and clams after it cycles or what should i do? i dont plan to introduce fish anytime soon first i wanna make sure the water is good enough for them to live in first. what order should i put the things in as. and what kind of filters and skimmers should i get?
please help the un-skilled member
(i only have a 10 gal. fresh water tank at home but i heard that saltwater is easier to take care of)
the school tank is a 30 gallon and the one in roch is a 55 or larger (havent desided yet)

jdm_ae86

Saltwater is actually harder, but, the bigger the tank is, the more stable itll be.
Yeah, you should put the live sand and live rock in, wait about 1 month for it to cycle(get some test kits),like you said-->when your water is all good(meaning everything down to zero) you can add fish. As for corals and certain inverts, I would wait about 6 months or longer, you want your tank to mature.
As for protein skimmers, if you got the money, I would get an AquaC Remora, or Euroreef--For your filtration, your live sand and rocks will do fine, along with a good cleanup crew, ex.-turbo snails, nassarius snails, etc..
HTH

ryand

so after the first month (cycle) should i get like a yellow tang and some snails to take care of the algie or can i put fish in after the first cycle and what about corals???

ryand

ok i will let you know how it goes for when i start them:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish