New to Aggressive - Eel question

blondenaso1

Hey everyone, I have been pondering setting up a mini agressinve tank. Right now I have a 20g set up that I have not been using. I have been thinking of downsizing this to a ten, but I wanted to see what you guys said first. Please excuse my ignorence with aggressive fish, but I wanted to know if there is any type of eel that I can keep in a 20g, preferably 10, that will remain small enough to be comfortable in that size tank. I know that keeping ammonia and nitrates down in an aggressive tank is a task due to their eating habits. My plans would only call for one eel and I could get a skimmer if need be. What other things are required for their care? What are Do's and Don'ts? Should there be LR in the tank for him to hide? How often and what do I feed? Lighting requirements? Thanks for the help.

you can have probably a pair of garden eels, they need to have a very deep sand beds... you should look info on them and there are other smaller type eels but they are rarely seen in the hobby.

blondenaso1 , If you want a small tank set up for an aggressive fish go with a mantis shrimp. Like a peacock , They are lookers !! They are very tough and neat to watch. A small build up of some rock and good sand bed you will have a happy shrimp. They are active during the day , and will always make anyone who sees it go OOOHH :D

conogre

I fully concurr....the eels are all too big for a small to very small tank, even if they do look cute like the little snowflakes often sold quite cheaply.
I bought mine that size and 4 years later he's going on 3' long and about as big in diameter as a Polish sausage.
Additionally, in a small tank, the odds of the eel jumping/slithering out are VERY high.
If you want something colorful, interesting and still just a little on the dangerous side, I second the motion for a Peacock mantis shrimp and can almost gurantee that you won't be sorry.....in a 20 (possibly even a 10), you can even keep a pair if you add rockwork to both ends (I've kept up to 5 in a 29 with no aggression between animals)
Use caution though and don't let his cuteness lull you into a sense of false security, as those claws strike with the impact of a .22 caliber bullet (scientifically tested and proven)....throw in a crayfish and stand back as you watch your cute little animal turn all tiger.

I

irenicus

Agree... No Eels, Go mantis. Their colors and ferocity will blow your mind.