New to corals, what are Frags?

crazy4reefs

its a fragment or smaller piece taken from the original coral.
also put this way,
well said by MarVida
A piece of living coral that will grow into a new colony, given time. Less expensive that a larger one. Often traded between hobbyists.

crazy4reefs

most all corals can be fragged, some are just harder than others. you might want to try searching the board i think there are quite a few post on how to frag diffrent corals. like mushrooms and greenstar polyps

little

Hey Crazy
I was looking and all I found was fraging mushrooms and would like to know about gsp? Could you help pleas.
Thanks
Little

crazy4reefs

gsp is very easy to frag. what you want to do is cut off a piece of the purple mat. the easiest would be to look to see if the purple mat is over growing on the sand, then you just cut off that piece. if its not what i do is take a razorblade (new) find a place where i can begin to pry it off the rock and just slice a piece off the rock. if you dont get one large piece you can just cut off a couple of pieces and just glue the purple mat to a piece of lr with super glue gel.. you dont really need to worry about damaging the coral, its a very hardy coral and should recover with no problem.. hope this helped. :)

little

Crazy you have been a big help and thanks for posting on the other thread. One more quike ? for you how long should you let the glue set befor seting back in the tank?
Thanks
Little

crazy4reefs

i usually just put the glue on wait only 10 or 20 seconds and then put the coral where i want it and hold it in place for 30 to 40 seconds.. as far as gluing gsp to a small piece of lr i just have it out of the water long enough to glue all pieces to the rock and then place it back into the tank. good luck fragging i hope it goes well for you :)

little

Thank you vary much for the help Crazy. I will let you know how it works out for me when that time comes.

Thanks
Little