New to corals

zsqure

Hello all, I went to the frag swap yesterday and got some great stuff. zoos, 'shrooms and polyps. Oh yea an RO/DI unit 75gpd. I have 260watt cf in a 90 gal (48 x 18 x 24 or so) I am ready to jump to good quality lights, I would like to go to mh/t-5 (outer orbit). What do you suggest for wattage? Who has experience with t-5 and corals? What do I want to keep? Whatever is colorful, the more color the easier it will get "approval"
you know what I mean. How will I know if I need higher wattage? Will the zoos 'shrooms and polyps shrink? loose color? Do you spot feed with DT's? Go Tribe.

nycbob

with a 90 gallon tank, aim for about 400-500w total. take a look at the t5 8x54w. i hv it on my 72, and everything is thriving. best of all, no heating issue to deal with.

wangotango

If you want halide, 250s would be good for anything. I run all T5 on my tank, and couldn't be happier. A 7-bulb fixture like the Aquactinics 48" Constellation, or the 8-bulb TEK fixture would be a good if you want to go the T5 route.
If lighting needs aren't met, usually coral poylps retract or don't open. Mushrooms usually like lower light, and zoos IME do fine just about anywhere. Neither have to be spot fed.
-Justin