new to fishin

gotfish

After years of interest finally in the right postion to begin this hobbie. I have been looking at a 90 gallon tank. Is this to big to start with?

jake22

No, the bigger the tank usually the easier it is to tak care of, but also more expensive to set up. Do you know what type of filter you want? If you want live rock or live sand? WHat type of fish are you interested in?

gotfish

i havent begun to look into fish yet. I want to get the tank in the morning. I understand it will take a month or so to get ready. I was going to rely on the lfs for type of filter. He suggest a wet/dry. I do not know any brand name. I know i want to start with hardy fish and ones that are not too agressive. any suggestion on filter would be helpful.

jake22

I am not good with filters and stuff like that. But i would recomend getting atlaeast 90 to 100 pounds of live rock and tell the guy at the lfs that you want to have a 3" deep sand bed. The sand and rock will do alot of filtering for you and help the cycle go faster. For an even faster cycle you can ask the lfs for water that is already mixed. After the tank is set up you should probably test every 3 days. I set up all my tanks this way and so far the longest cycle has lasted a week, but since you plan of getting a 90 gallon it will probably take longer.
A good fish to begin with once your cycle has finished is sometype of clownfish. They are hardy, for the most part peaceful, and are great fish. I would not get a maroon or a tamato clown though they will sometimes become aggresive with time.

gotfish

Thanks for the advice. I have been shopping around for a couple weeks to find a knowledgable lfs. hopefully there will not be to many problems. I appreciate the time.

gotfish

A new question already....
Which should I use CC , living sand or dead sand?
any help would be useful

jake22

I would not get cc. Either get all live sand, or some live sand and some dead sand. The live sand will turn the dead sand to life. I have never tried it but that is what i have heard.

wamp

A good start is definetly to ask before you buy...
A wet/dry filter is a very good filter providing it is sized right for the tank. Live Rock is a better way IMO but they both work. They do the same job that is. Convert Wastes....
I would highly suggest a good book. Read, Read and ask questions. There are no dumb questions, well there are a few, so don't worry about asking them.
You have to be very patient in this hobby. If you rush things you will end up broke. Do it right the first time. Buy the right equipment.
Good Luck with the new tank and prepare to be broke all the time!