New to hobbie setting up new tank.

bobopolis

I just acquired a used 55 gal tank and I decided to go Saltwater. After reading a bit I've been enlightened to things I never knew before, such as live sand and live rock. Nonetheless, I'm going for the gusto and plan on a live sand bed substrate, a reef tank, and some pretty fish. But in some of my reading, I've gotten confused on the kind of equipment I need to get. For instance, if I have a live sand bed, do I still need a wet/dry filtration system, and a protein skimmer? Let's start with that. There will be many more questions to follow I'm sure.

adrian

If you have a thick, fully functioning live sand bed, no you dont need a wet dry. I would suggest a skimmer, others will say you should use a refugium, do some research and decide whats better for you. A couple of good books, or shall I say pamphlets, are Bob Goemans secrets to protien skimming and live sand secrets, they both run about $8 and are worth the $ and the 30 minutes it takes to read them. HTH

concon

A lot of opinions will be available when you ask this question. A typical reef set up (fish and corals) should have good lighting (4-5 watts per gallon), good water quality (no ammonia, no nitrates and no nitrites), good filtration system and a protein skimmer(eliminate some of the wastes from fish and corals). My recommendation is get a good reef book and you will find all the options that are available to you.
Live rocks and sands (1-2 lbs per gallon)have tiny living organisms(bacteria)helping to eliminate wastes and maintaining good water quality in a reef tank. If you have triple amount of LR and LS(very expensive), you will not need any mechanical filtration system except good water pump to circulate water. A good protein skimmer still is needed to keep your water quality in check. If budget is tight,many reasonable mechanical filtration systems on the market are available. Pick the best one that you can afford. Finally, give yourself a little extra room for the test kits and saltwaters. Ah! remember to enjoy your hobby too. Good luck. :D

fishswim

Definatly get a protein skimmer. i also have an emperor bio-wheel filter on mine which I like a lot. Don't forget about a power head which is another good thing to add.

andymi

I guess I will be the first to pipe up and say do not get a protein skimmer for a reef tank. It quite often removes some of the beneficial nutrients and food that some reef inverts will need to grow. If you overskim you will definitely see problems. In this case I would suggest you use a refugium with a live sand bed, some macroalgaes and some live rock. As well inside your tank I would have at least 1.5lbs per gallon of live rock. By having good water current, plenty of rock and a refugium your tank will be just fine.
I do however believe that skimmers are good for FO tanks since there is usually little or no rock contained in these tanks and the best way to remove the unwanted items :) are with a skimmer, however, again a refugium could be used.
--Andy

flydan

Hey,
Welcome to the hobby and to the board!
I believe in skimmers, but I also see Andy's point of view so I like to skim just at night. (When you get timers for your lights get one for your skimmer too.)
Just my .02. Lots of lr and a couple of power heads and you are going in the right direction.
Dan'l :D