New to hobby and researching

cmbkml

We are wanting to get a saltwater fish tank and so we are trying to do as much research as we can before we take the plunge. It was suggested to us to start with something small (16gal) and maybe 5-6 fish. Is this information correct? Is 16gal enough to eventually begin live coral? What fish are reccomended for a small tank? Any advice is much appreciated at this point.

geridoc

I am not a fan of so-called "nano tanks". While a smaller, less expensive tank seems attractive as a starter tank, such tanks are actually more difficult to maintain because their small water volume makes them less stable. As a result, animals die, and new hobbyists give up. Given sufficient lighting and good water conditions you could keep corals, but 6 fish will be an overload in a 16 gallon nano. The best part of your plan is to do the research. Keep asking questions on this site - there are some amazing aquaria here.

cmbkml

Thanks for the massive amount of information; the more the merrier. We have pretty much decided on the fish...Coral Beauty, a type of clown fish, a pair of Bangaii Cardinal, and possibly a pigmy angel fish. Talked with a couple fish shops and reading your forum; have figured out that the less fish the better. We are wanting to start out with live rock for the first year or so and then switch over to a reef. We know that the Coral Beauty may eat some of the coral or not at all; basically from what we were told. Originally we were talking about getting the 16 gallon nano tank; but are considering getting a 32 gallon.

snakeblitz33

Your welcome.
The bigger the tank that you can afford right off the bat, the better. I still recommend larger tanks to new hobbyists - simply for the fact that more water volume means a more stable tank.
A coral beauty is still a bit too big for a 32g, IMHO.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394270/new-to-hobby-and-researching#post_3509614
Your welcome.
The bigger the tank that you can afford right off the bat, the better. I still recommend larger tanks to new hobbyists - simply for the fact that more water volume means a more stable tank.
A coral beauty is still a bit too big for a 32g, IMHO.
+1
A good starter tank would be a 55g, and even better a 75g (same length but a little wider)
As for money...If you purchase new, it takes just about as much cash to start a 55g as it does a 30g. If you do go with a 30g...a 30g long will look better than one of those cubes IMO.
This was my 30g long reef/seahorse tank

cmbkml

If we were to start with a 30 gal; what would be good fish to start with? Part of our problem is space for the tank is limited due to direct sunlight; which is bad for saltwater tanks?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbkml http:///t/394270/new-to-hobby-and-researching#post_3509805
If we were to start with a 30 gal; what would be good fish to start with? Part of our problem is space for the tank is limited due to direct sunlight; which is bad for saltwater tanks?
Hi, Welcome to the site!
Small fish such as dottybacks, 2 clownfish, Royal Gramma (one only, and can't be with dottybacks), dwarf angelfish (1 per tank) and fairy wrasse (need a mesh top, they jump) Firefish also jump but are cool little fish.
Dwarf angels like to swim in and out of rocks and nip at them for algae all day. They are very active but with enough rocks and caves to swim through they are fine in a 30g...I never had a problem.
As for the sunlight...all you need are shades. Have the shade drawn to prevent direct sunlight from shining on the tank. I have both of my fish tanks right across from a window. The shades are just standard white, nothing special, it will filter the direct sunlight but not darken the room.
Room dividers also look pretty nice, and you can put on up right next to the tank if you have just a corner or side exposed....I used to do that too.

cmbkml

Starting out right off the bat with coral first and stabalizing the tank then adding fish is the way to go?

tthemadd1

Coral off the bat will die if your cycling. Live rock and cycling go hand in hand.
I recommend a few small fish and live rock. Cycle tank and then over time try your hand at corals. Corals can be very expensive and need stable chemical, lighting, and salinity. All of which makes for easier maintainance in a larger or older tank.

geridoc

Coral off the bat will die if your cycling. Live rock and cycling go hand in hand.
I recommend a few small fish and live rock. Cycle tank and then over time try your hand at corals. Corals can be very expensive and need stable chemical, lighting, and salinity. All of which makes for easier maintainance in a larger or older tank.
Please, please do not put small fish into your tank to cycle it. This just tortures an animal unnecessarily. If you want to keep fish, start by respecting every one of them, regardless of cost or size. Once the tank is cycled begin to slowly add fish with a view towards reef compatability. As you gain experience and knowledge you can begin to upgrade your equipment (lighting, skimmer, etc) and eventually introduce corals.

cmbkml

Thanks for the info, we have been reading about the cycle and know not to add anything but a raw shrimp (dead of course) to get the cycle going. We are looking at now (after researching more) to start our tank after the cycle with a clean up crew and then a pair of clown fish to make sure we have what it takes and a proper set up to introduce other things. There is so much information out there and seems a bit overwhelming but we are definitely taking it all in so that we can make the best informed decision possible.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbkml http:///t/394270/new-to-hobby-and-researching#post_3510036
Thanks for the info, we have been reading about the cycle and know not to add anything but a raw shrimp (dead of course) to get the cycle going. We are looking at now (after researching more) to start our tank after the cycle with a clean up crew and then a pair of clown fish to make sure we have what it takes and a proper set up to introduce other things. There is so much information out there and seems a bit overwhelming but we are definitely taking it all in so that we can make the best informed decision possible.
I can tell already...You do your research and listen to advice. I do believe I like you.
Only add the CUC when you have something for them to eat. You can...right after the cycle add soft corals, mushrooms and Kenya Tree are fantastic starters. They don't require the fancy lights, the fish lights are good. They actually like the more unstable beginner tanks. I got corals right after I introduced my first fish (two clowns)
Setting up a quarantine tank right off will save you money and trouble down the road, and while you cycle your display tank is the time to do it. In the beginning you will be adding fish regularly, so have a QT all set and ready to add the first fish...then by the time that fish is ready to go to it's new home, it's time to get the next addition...by doing that... it forces you to pace yourself, and not add too many fish, too fast.
As for overwhelming, I totally understand. I have been in the hobby for some time now and I learn new stuff all the time. This site is fantastic for sharing information and getting really helpful tips from those with hands on experience.

tthemadd1

I don agree with the fish issue. One or two small fish can cycle the tank just fine. Adding cured live rock at the beginning and live sanding you can will minimize the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate cycle. I always keep track of these parameters and never really see a big spike in the parameters.
I would recommend a good hardy fish. I know this is not the advised route but one fish in a 40 gal will not get over stressed. Start the tank with livesand and saltwater maybe some cured rock. Let it run for a week and add one fish. The surface area of lives and and cured rock is more than enough bacteria load for one fish. The surface area of the glass is trivial compared to the rock and sand.
I have never lost a fish due to cycling in this manner. If money is an issue ask your LFS for some sand to seed dry sand and it will work the same.
Patience is important and research will save money. Just don't blow up with a lot of fish to start. That will cause stress on the fish and possibly kill them.
I understand the idea and morale value in what was said about harming animals and agree. Don't overdo it nd move slow. Test test test.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthemadd1 http:///t/394270/new-to-hobby-and-researching#post_3510065
I don agree with the fish issue. One or two small fish can cycle the tank just fine. Adding cured live rock at the beginning and live sanding you can will minimize the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate cycle. I always keep track of these parameters and never really see a big spike in the parameters.
I would recommend a good hardy fish. I know this is not the advised route but one fish in a 40 gal will not get over stressed. Start the tank with livesand and saltwater maybe some cured rock. Let it run for a week and add one fish. The surface area of lives and and cured rock is more than enough bacteria load for one fish. The surface area of the glass is trivial compared to the rock and sand.
I have never lost a fish due to cycling in this manner. If money is an issue ask your LFS for some sand to seed dry sand and it will work the same.
Patience is important and research will save money. Just don't blow up with a lot of fish to start. That will cause stress on the fish and possibly kill them.
I understand the idea and morale value in what was said about harming animals and agree. Don't overdo it nd move slow. Test test test.
Why in the world would you want to burn a fish's gills to cycle slow when you can cycle hard and fast without causing any fish pain? If you put a small fish in any tank the ammonia HAS TO SPIKE to begin the cycle. As soon as you see the spike you have to do a water change to keep the fish alive...by doing that water change you lower the ammonia and therefore make the first cycle of your tank a slow process...a chunk of raw shrimp, or pure ammonia will give the needed ammonia spike to get things going, and since you don't have to do a water change to keep anything alive, the cycle is allowed to run it's course unhindered.