New to Salt Water and setting up a 20 gal

lyndsey86

Hi, I've kept Cichlids for 3 years and finally decided to do a salt water. We have a 20 gal set up with Instant Ocean and live rock. Was thinking of getting a pair of clowns to start off with but wanted opinions on what everyone thought was good starter fish. Still got plenty of time till we add fish though. Just getting prepared.

jay0705

Captive raised clowns are a good start, giving your tank size you wont be able to add many more fish tho. How much live rock do u have?

jay0705

I have occ clowns, black occ, and a maroon clown. Chromis like groups, maybe try clown goby or fire fish

lyndsey86

We are now setting up our 55 gal. Using our 20gal as a quarantine tank. I was thinking damsels to go with clowns but I've been hearing bad things about them. Think I might stick with clowns and cromis to start out with

tur4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey86 http:///t/397826/new-to-salt-water-and-setting-up-a-20-gal#post_3547578
We are now setting up our 55 gal. Using our 20gal as a quarantine tank. I was thinking damsels to go with clowns but I've been hearing bad things about them. Think I might stick with clowns and cromis to start out with

I would stay away from damselfish with the exception of clowns and chromis. Even some species of clowns can be pretty mean. There are plenty of small fish to choose from that aren't A-holes. Firefish, dwarf angels, blennys, basslets, cardinals, dottybacks, gobies, wrasses...

I wouldn't throw a damsel in my tank just because every ***** employee claims that they are good "starter fish". Just stay away from fish that have special dietary needs. Like mandarins and two spot gobys. You also want to find out if a new animal is compatible with your existing live stock before adding it. It's good to know that a flame hawk will probably eat your ornamental shrimp before tossing one in your tank.