new to salt water fish, help me to decide what fish to get.

coral995

im looking to start a reef.i really like the flame angel, and i do realise you can only keep one angel per tank. i plan on getting a 55 gal tank.
for coral i like so far,
green eye zoos
blue palm
maze brain coral
anemones
for other fish id like the reef package for 20-55 gal tanks
but im worried about the brittle starfish, i heard they eat shrimp and theres shimp in that package.
for other fish, im not sure about yet, but i want to make sure they all have room to move about. and i like butterflies.
can these all go in the same tank?
any ideas/suggestions/comments are welcome! :help:

nicetry

I would avoid angels and butterflies altogether. Most butterflies are not reef safe, and angels are hit or miss. They are also not good beginner fish. Stick with small sturdy reef safe species. A 55 is not large so stock conservatively, which is more prudent in a reef tank anyway.
Clowns, firefish, gobies, basslets, cardinals, small wrasses; these are all suitable to your system and will give you a colorful and active tank.

nicetry

Much depends on your lighting. Can you list what equipment you have and what you plan to buy? I keep strictly fish so can't help on your coral selection or their needs but you'll get some qualified responses on this.
Brittle stars are predatory and will go after small fish or other potential meals. I won't keep them for that reason. Serpent stars are a safer bet.
The I fish listed are all reef safe and largely compatable.

coral995

ive revised my list now.
Orangeback Basslet
lantern Basslet
i loooovee the look of the Black & White Percula - Aquacultured (its a clown fish)
a couple of Flame Cardinals
a few engineer gobys
and the 20-55 gallon reef package
hows that?

nicetry

Originally Posted by coral995
im not sure what kind of lighting/equipment to buy, id like to keep it cheap, help again? :help:
You won't often see the words "cheap" and "reef" in the same sentence. Bottom line, it's not an inexpensive hobby. Personally, I would suggest looking at your budget and what you can afford to spend comfortably. Maybe start out with a fish only tank or FOWLR (fish only with live rock). Get a handle on the mechanics of a salt water tank, water chemistry, fish species, etc.. While you get some experience, research corals and more delicate inverts, and save money to upgrade lights, etc.. Granted, you can cut corners and "get by" without some of the bells and whistles, but in this hobby, buying good equipment will go a long way to your success and subsequent enjoyment.

coral995

okay, so i get a fowler with fish (the ones i listed) , live rock and some hermit crabs
i wont get the brittle starfish, serpent one instead. and ill work my way up to a bigger reef.
but i really want coral and stuff though, and im willing to spend 200 dollars on care and light ing for it.

sac10918

I think that might be too many fish for a 55 gallon. There is a rule (that I cant remember) about 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons or something. Maybe someone else knows... I would think you shouldnt have more than 5 fish in a 55 gallon....

Get as big as your budget and space can handle. A big tank is easier to maintain and gives you more flexibility with the fish you want to keep. Price it all out tho, cause with a bigger tank comes needs for more expensive equipment. Do a little research and you'll be much happier in the end

imurnamine

If you ask me, you are jumping the gun.
The last thing you need to do is make out a list of fish.
You need to be more concerned about insuring the stability and cycling methods of your tank. Or even getting a tank, for that matter.
I started out with a 29 gallon and then moved up to a 72. I really like my 72 gallon because it is a good size and a normal minimum for some of the most interesting fish.