new to salt water....

krautburner

hey guys,
my name is Russ, I live outside Seattle, Wa
I just got myself an established Rief tank
it's a custom Acrylic tank, about 46-48 gal + a 20 gal sump
it's got lots of live rock and a prtien skimmer
it came with a handfull of "Turbo cleaner" snails, some Corals, and a (really mean) Brick Red Clownfish (so far, it's killed 3 damsels I've put in)
this is my first salt water tank, and my first aquarium in over 10 years.
my goal with this tank,
is to have lots of color, and a good amount of activity
it looks like I'll have to get rid of the clown
and start with all new fish.
Russ

sinner's g

do you want to keep the clown?
if yes, then move the lr around, add your new fish and keep the tank lights off and the room dark. This way, the clown will have to re-established its territory. I had a killer clown as well. Sinner bagged him, moved the lr around, added the new fish (damsel), with the light off, then added the clown back. we kept the lights off and I covered the tank to keep it dark.
They fish got along. That damsel was the only one the clown didn't kill. (the clown had a mate, but wouldn't accept any other fish in the tank after the mate died)
good luck and enjoy!

krautburner

the rock had just been moved around,
I didn't know about the dark part...
how long should I keep the tank dark?
I would like to keep the clown,
but I am willing to get rid of him if I have to
eventually,
I want to get him (or a new clown/or pair) an Anemone
but I'm waiting for the tank to settle from it's move before I spend too much money on more fish ect...
next purchase will probably be one of the "Reef Packages" https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ory=4&x=5&y=14
not sure which one...
any suggestions?

sinner's g

I just kept the tank dark that day/night.
I don't like any of the reef packages.
I LOVE swf.com inverts, but the reef packages don't really work for one tank-at least not for me. Never mind, they've changed them up!
20-55 Gallon Reef Package
-you don't need 30 snails in a 20-55gl tank or two brittle stars. those guys get huge. I did keep a brittle and serpent together, but the serpent doesn't get as big. no way would I keep two in a 20, or in a tall tank (yours looks tall)
-I LOVE CBS (coral banded shrimp), they WILL eat other shrimp, but they have personality and are fun to watch.
30-90 Gallon Reef Package
-again don't need 30 shrimp.
though it seems they've changed the packages up some.
so, i'd say any would work.
I'm liking the 'Market Leader Reef Package'.
I of course need starfish, but they need an established tank. shrimp are fun to watch. clams don't really do anything. I like urchins as well.
I don't like snails. They're more of food for the others. lol.
The Nano Pack would be a good start. Make sure you have extra shells for the hermits!
Moving a tank can cause a mini-cycle-not always, my last two moves didn't, but the ones before that did. So, i'd keep a close eye on your levels, check for ammonia and keep an eye on the fish (watch for change in behavior or not eating)
wait, you have corals? sorry, not sure what inverts are reef safe.

krautburner

Originally Posted by Sinner's G
-I LOVE CBS (coral banded shrimp), they WILL eat other shrimp, but they have personality and are fun to watch.
there was one with the tank when I got it, poor thing got crushed between 2 of the rocks in the move :(
30-90 Gallon Reef Package
-again don't need 30 shrimp.
so, i'd say any would work.

I'm liking the 'Market Leader Reef Package'.
I of course need starfish, but they need an established tank. shrimp are fun to watch. clams don't really do anything. I like urchins as well.
would my tank not count as established?
it's a couple years old (and had a 60-70% water change in the move)
it only was drained about 2 hours and only moved about 5 miles
I don't like snails. They're more of food for the others. lol.
other than the crabs (which will use the shells) what eats them?
Moving a tank can cause a mini-cycle-not always, my last two moves didn't, but the ones before that did. So, i'd keep a close eye on your levels, check for ammonia and keep an eye on the fish (watch for change in behavior or not eating)

only one fish went with the move,
I don't really know what to watch for, he gets excited when I come to the tank,
like he's wanting to get fed
he seems to get excited when i feed him too
wait, you have corals? sorry, not sure what inverts are reef safe.

all of these are "reef packages"

these are also the ones I was looking at
30-90 gal $99 total

Scarlet Hermit Crab: 20 crabs: 46

Blueleg Hermit Crab: 20 snails: 30

Nasssarius Snail: 10
Emerald Crab: 5
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Sally Lightfoot: 1
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20
Cleaner Clam: 2
20-55 gal $89 total

Scarlet Hermit Crab: 10 crabs: 23

Blueleg Hermit Crab: 10 snails: 30

Brittle Starfish: 2
Emerald Crab: 3
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20
Cleaner Clam: 2
market leader $99 total

Scarlet Hermit Crab: 20 crabs: 28

Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20 snails: 30

Sally Lightfoot: 1
Emerald Crab: 5
Porcelain Crab: 2

krautburner

here's what I'm looking at for an order next month.....
Live Goods
30-90 Gallon Reef Package 99.99 $99.99
Florida Condi Anemone 7.99 $7.99
Orange Linckia Starfish 16.99 $16.99
Bubble Tip Anemone 24.99 $24.99
Boxes, Packaging, & FedEx Shipping = FREE
Processing Fee = $9.99
Temporary Fuel Charge = $9.99
Live Goods Total = $169.94
Live Rock & Live Sand
Ultra Premium Fiji Live Rock 12lbs - Plus $5 Store Credit! 74.99 $74.99
Boxes, Packaging, & FedEx Shipping = FREE
Processing Fee = $9.99
Temporary Fuel Charge = $9.99
Live Rock & Live Sand Total = $94.97
Order Grand Total: $264.91
I want a couple anemone's weather I keep this clown, or get a pair later
I figure I'll put some live rock in my sump tank too

teresaq

Hi and welcome. You tank is nice.
Not sure if its a good idea to have two amemones in that small of a tank.I have read that they will fight, and kill each other. I would ask in the clownfish forum. Also what type of lights do you have. Are they strong enough for an anemone?
Orange linkas need at least 100lbs of live rock to even have a chance of survival.

R

rcreations

Definitely don't want to get two DIFFERENT anemones in that tank. You can get two of the same kind, although that tank is too small for 2 anemones in my opinion.

krautburner

I don't know what the lights are called,
they have 2 double flourescent bulbs (one blue and one white each)
with a 55w ballast (power supply)
I was told they were "Very nice" lights from some company in Germany
as far as the starfish,
I didn't see anything about how much rock, I will definately be resurching more before ordering (next month)
I'm not sure how much rock I have,
but like I said, I intend to add more rock to the sump.
still doing alot of reading, learning, and asking of questions (while I wait for the tank to stabalize)

lecithin

if you could get us some pics we could probably take apretty good guess at how much rock you have. As for the anemones, -- has it right, don't put two different types in there, they may start chemical warfare with each other and you'll probably lose both.
Lights are incredibly important, we'll need to know exactly what they are to be able to help you and tell you what they can host.

krautburner

the bulbs say
CORALIFE

50/50 55watt
edit:
and my camera phone dosn't take the best pics ;)
(my other camera takes a day to develop the pix)

sinner's g

Originally Posted by KrautBurner
here's what I'm looking at for an order next month.....
I want a couple anemone's weather I keep this clown, or get a pair later
I figure I'll put some live rock in my sump tank too
sorry, i'd have to say no, no on the Linckia. so some research on them, they don't live very well in tanks, esp small tanks!
also, if you just started, i'd wait before getting annomines and such. let your tank settle and let yourself learn before spending a ton of money. the key is to go slow.
if you changed more than 50% of the water, you might have a problem. so, keep an eye on your levels for awhile before adding fish/inverts.

krautburner

Originally Posted by Sinner's G
sorry, i'd have to say no, no on the Linckia. so some research on them, they don't live very well in tanks, esp small tanks!
also, if you just started, i'd wait before getting annomines and such. let your tank settle and let yourself learn before spending a ton of money. the key is to go slow.
if you changed more than 50% of the water, you might have a problem. so, keep an eye on your levels for awhile before adding fish/inverts.

I'm still doing research,
I don't plan on really purchasing anything other than some more crabs and snails, maybe some more rock for the next month