New to Saltwater fish!

eq2118

Hi everyone! I just purchased a 20 gallon acrylic tank for saltwater fish. I would love any information you can give me or help you can give me about starting everything up ie: should i get live rock, sand, how many fish should I keep in the tank, sea anemones, urchins.... yeah the whole 9 yards . If at all possible I would appreciate anyone helping me out! Thank you and hopefully I will hear from you all soon!! :confused:

jag3365

HI there I'm pretty new here too, actually almost set up and ready to start filling it up. Anyways there's not a whole lot of information that I can give you, other than get a book or two. They are invaluable. I recommend "The Consciencious Marine Aquarist" and "The New Marine Aquarium". I have both and the basically give you a start from the ground up. HTH and good luck.

liz50138

If I explained everything you should know about saltwater to get started, I'd have a thick book. But, here are some things to do a search on. And then if you have more specific questions, we can narrow it down. Also, most suggest the consientious marine aquarist, or i know there's a dummy book out too, saltwater fish for dummies. It explains things in common terms. Basically read as much as you can. I've been into saltwater for about 4 months now and feel as if I know next to nothing.
Filters
quarantine tanks
care for anenomes
skimmers
nitrogen cycle
test kits
aerating water/aged water
live rock and base rock
live sand and argonite sand
crushed coral
DSB (deep sand bed)
clean up crew.
As for your more specific questions, you'll only be able to keep a limited amount of small fish in your aquarium. At first the ratio is one inch of adult fish per 8 gallons, for at least about 3-4 months, then about one inch of adult fish per 4 gallons, and after about a year and you feel comfortable, about one inch of fish per 2 gallons. I would wait at least a year before going into corals, anenomes, and things of that sort, and about 6 months before starfish. This is because all of these things require near perfect water conditions.

g13

Live Rock and Live Sand is a must at least 1 pound of each per gallon of water. I'd probably put less rock though just to give the fish more swimming room but make sure you get enough live sand at least a lb per gallon. 20 gallons is really small so try not to put more than 2 fish, even though 2 fish is pushing it. Gobies or clowns (because they do not need a lot of swimming space) are the only cool looking fish that you could probably put in there but everyone has their preferences. You'd probably are better off going only with a skimmer as a filter instead of getting a wet/dry or power filter but get as much advice as you probably can on that because i'm sort of a new to the hobby too. GOOD LUCK and get ready to spend a good amount of money.
P.S. PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!