New to saltwater...help plz

southcoral

I just bought a 30 gallon tank to start my saltwater tank. I haven't purchased anythiing else because I'm not sure what I will need. I need to know if I need a different type of filter or anything else special for the salt water. I've been reading and I know that I'll need sand instead of CC. Oh, and what's a Deep Sand Bed? I also know that you use the "Drip Method" for introducing new items. I plan on having a live coral I think it's called orange carnination and a dead coral, an anemone, a cleaner shrimp, a yellow tang, a percula clown, and maybe a 3 stripe damsly. (Some of the fish from Finding Nemo.) I need any help about the coral and the fish, any insider tips. :cheer:
:help:

jacknjill

a 30 is kinda small for a yellow tang. you will probably want to invest in a good protein skimmer. a deep sand bed is a deep sand bed (at least 3 inches)

farslayer

Damsels can be kind've mean, so you may want to avoid them. Also, if you are going to keep corals and inverts, invest in some good lighting and maintain your calcium levels; for inverts, maintain your iodine levels as this is required for proper molting. Do not get a yellow tang, your tank is way too small for one of those. Also, do not get an anemone until after at least six months of success with your tank, they require excellent lighting and water conditions. For your corals, you will need a couple of smaller power heads to keep the water moving. Check on each coral before you buy to determine lighting and flow requirements. Also, make sure you have plent of live rock, at least one pound per gallon, preferrably 1.5.

southcoral

Y'all are sure I can't have a yellow tang?? I think they are so cute, well I think the one off of Finding Nemo is cute. Could you explain why it wouldn't keep? I don't think I'll be buying the damsel anymore either. And something else, what type of lighting do you have to have for coral? I just have the lighting that comes with the aquariam. And how do you add the salt to your aquariam? If you could give further information IM me on AOL or YAHOO (QTPie14887 - aol) (SouthernCharm8807 - yahoo):happy: :cheer:

buddahjon

tangs require a large amount of swimming room.
as far as corals and such you need higher powered lights than what comes with a standard hood. there are some very good threads in the reef area and also in the clowns and anemone area.

arkey.d

A Yellow Tank gets up to about 8" I believe and should be kept in 70gal tanks or larger.
The lighting depends on the type of corals you would like to keep. For Softies and LPS you can use Power Compacts, but for SPS, Clams and Anemones you would need MH lighting.
At this point I would get a book to help you with starting out. One thing that saltwater teaches is patcience and to do your research...

dedwards

You will be limited on the amount of fish that you add. Be sure to spec their adult size and not how big they are when you purchase them. Try to keep to the rule of 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water. Remember your LFS will try and sell you anything and they don't always give the best advice.

southcoral

Thanks so much. I looked up the yellow tang, it said they only get to 2 - 4" And that percula clowns only get up to 2"? True? You'll have to forgive me, I haven't had the chance to buy a book yet, but where would you buy the speacial type of lighting? What type of fish, that are pretty and colorful, would thrive in a 29 gallon tank? Preferably from Finding Nemo. Or not, just some really cute fish.:cheer:
:happyfish

arkey.d

Check this link out for full fish descriptions and sizes: Click Here
The Tang gets up to 8" and the Clowns get up to 4.5"
Before you buy your lighting figure out what type of tank you want to have, Fish Only, Reef.... It all depends on what you want to keep.

southcoral

I plan on having a Coral/Fish tank, because I've heard talk that neither by theirself is very interesting, but combined they are magnificent. Also, does you have an idea about what other type of fish, besides the yellow tang, is an algea eater? I have trouble keeping my tank clean so I like to buy fish that will do it for me. My fresh water tank stays beautiful, but I also have an algea-eater in there. (He is very unatrative though) That's what I thought I'd buy both attrative and useful. Right now I'm so confused with all this information I've found, that I don't really know what coral I'll buy. Thanks to you all for the help.

arkey.d

Saltwaterfish.com have reef packages that you can buy to help combat algea.
There are other sites that offer cleanup crews aswell, but I can't post the links.....
If you don't want to limit yourself then look into MH Lighting, but very expensive. With this type of lighting you can have any type of coral you want.
I use Power Compact Lighting 260 Watts and use a Dusk to Dawn setup, but I'm limited to Soft Corals and LPSs, which is fine for me and I spent $265 on my PC lighting for my 55gal, but I can always add MH later for SPS, Clams and Anemones....

wbilton

Originally posted by southcoral
Y'all are sure I can't have a yellow tang?? I think they are so cute, well I think the one off of Finding Nemo is cute.
The tang in finding Nemo is a Blue Hippo Tang, they even need more room.