New to saltwater heres what I have so far

silverz28

sump set up (all plumbing with mechanical filtration (sponges) -> 20g long sump tank -> return pump (panworld 1200gph pump,octopus nw200 skimmer along with 2 heaters. The tank is a 135 gallon tank. What else do I need picking this up for 550 witch is from what im finding out a great deal. Im very new to saltwater always wanted one never had the cash this seemed like the time to go for it. Prob wont get fish for awhile. I pick the stuff up this coming sunday. What do I need in addition to what I have. I see alot of people saying this is a money pit is that just the start up cost or what? Ive read a little on here and looks like I deffinatly need to get battery pumps and having batterys on hand in case of the worst. What test kits or lights will I need. Sorry for all the new newbie questions. I guess I could sum it up and say after I buy the stuff listed about how much more will I need to spend Im not looking to add fish for awhile im wanting to let it setup so to speek.

mr_x

are you sure a 20 long is going to hold that skimmer?
i would get an API salwater master test kit. it has all the tests you will need for saltwater.
also purchase a refractometer, and a R.O.D.I. unit.
you will need some salt (for a fish only, instant ocean is fine), and also about 150 pounds of live rock.

salt210

yes it can be a addictive hobby but don't let that scare you. if you plan on just going fowlr then you have nothing to worry about. as for lighting all you need if you just go fish is Normal Output flourescent.

mr_x

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/2751016
as for lighting all you need if you just go fish is Normal Output flourescent.
yeah...but get a 2 lamp fixture atleast, so you can add actinic light. it really makes the fish look good.

silverz28

okay So the test kit as well do I need battery airpumps? I live in the country so Im 100% shure I should get them. Will just regular freshwater air pumps work? what else do I need

mr_x

you don't need an air pump for aeration. the skimmer and powerheads will take care of that. are you wanting to get one incase the power goes out?
depending on how important the tank is to you, you might want to get a generator. i've used a power dc/ac converter before with success. just plug it into the accessory outlet in the car, and run an extention cord(s) to the tank.
don't forget sand. don't get crushed coral. get sugar sized aragonite based sand.

bpro32

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2754177
you don't need an air pump for aeration. the skimmer and powerheads will take care of that. are you wanting to get one incase the power goes out?
depending on how important the tank is to you, you might want to get a generator. i've used a power dc/ac converter before with success. just plug it into the accessory outlet in the car, and run an extention cord(s) to the tank.
don't forget sand. don't get crushed coral. get sugar sized aragonite based sand.

+1 on the sand. I would get at least 150 lbs of rock, probably more, but x knows a lot more than me so I'm not going to argue..

mr_x

Originally Posted by bpro32
http:///forum/post/2754224
+1 on the sand. I would get at least 150 lbs of rock, probably more, but x knows a lot more than me so I'm not going to argue..

let's just agree on- put as much live rock in the display as you can fit, and it still be pleasing to the eye, and have very little/no dead spots(places with little to no water current).

silverz28

Yes I have a genatrator already 2400watts. in the garge I have that for power outages and stuff I do in the field works great but yeah I was wondering about picking up some battery pumps to have on hand to keep the fish alive.

mr_x

your generator will do that job. i wouldn't rely on an airstone when i can turn on my powerheads, heaters, and skimmer.