New To Saltwater

tluvst

What is the best filter for a 10 gallon. I have a (hob)
I have a power head and good lights live rock and live sand. I have algea all over the rock. I have changed lights but how do I get rid of the algea on the live rock and when will I start seeing any life on the rocks? I set up tank on 12/24/07. please help
thanks...

T

tizzo

Was the rock live rock? Or was it just plain ol rock you bought off the shelf dry?

T

tizzo

Well my next question would be, what kind of life are you looking for?? Pods, and mobile hitch-hikers or coralline algae.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Live rock, live sand, and excellent water movement along with a good skimmer is your best filter.

T

tizzo

Well, that depends on what kind of algae you have.
You can get a serious algae attack with nothing more that intense lighting.
If it is green, filmy and hairy, then add a bunch of snails. You have a 10 gallon tank, I'd say add about 15 snails.
This kind...
Beth is right, your LR and LS is the best filtration. Do you have a skimmer on that little tank??
Too many fish can cause algae, as well as over feeding and we can't forget tap water. MOST areas have tap with nutrients for algae. Do you know if you have any nitrates, or ammonia or any of your parameters??

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by TluvsT
http:///forum/post/2580363
Anything really...

Tonight, look into your tank with a flashlight. Look at the glass right in front of your nose and look at the rock. Square inch by square inch. You SHOULD see pods and such, if you do not then... well, then I don't know? I never heard of LR not having pods. Especially 4.5 months in!!
How many pounds do you have in there anyway?

tluvst

I have 3 pounds of rock. I tested my water last night and it tests fine, but my turbo snail was dead this morning. I am getting so frustrated. I do see the purple on the live rock, that made me happy. should I buy some chronis or damsels to test the water again?????
Thank you all for your advise, it is very helpful :)

vicarious

http:///forum/post/2581466
I have 3 pounds of rock. I tested my water last night and it tests fine, but my turbo snail was dead this morning. I am getting so frustrated. I do see the purple on the live rock, that made me happy. should I buy some chronis or damsels to test the water again?????
Thank you all for your advise, it is very helpful :)
What is your salt level?

tluvst

I really do not know that answer. I buy my water from a fish store. All he does is saltwater tanks and some freshwater. I have seen how he makes all the saltwater, so I just figured his water would be fine........

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/2581591
I really do not know that answer. I buy my water from a fish store. All he does is saltwater tanks and some freshwater. I have seen how he makes all the saltwater, so I just figured his water would be fine........

Very bad idea.
3 times out of 3 (that I have seen) down here in my little town, the fish stores messed up their water salinity. One of those stores is a very knowledgeable place!, but they filled up the RO vat to add the salt for the next days supply and an employee attempted to sell it. The customer, being ever so cautious asked that he tested it. He did and of course it was not ready to use.
Either have your LFS test it in front of you or learn how to test it yourself. Your salinity is the easiest thing to measure.
Live rock... for a 10 gallon, you would do best to have 15 lbs.
snails... You have to acclimate them slowly. Last night I went out and bought 22 snails. I put ONE of them in my tank... he died.
The rest I "drip acclimated" for an hour and every single one lived. They are incredibly sensitive to salinity changes. Occurrences as simple as evaporation that causes your salinity to go up, and you add freshwater top off causes it to come back down... In a 10 gallon, if done to quickly it will kill the snail. The MOST common reasons for dead snails or snails that "keep falling off the glass" is improper acclimation or salinity changes in the tank.

nvsbandit

in my 10g i have 16.5 lbs. i would start with a clean up crew. snails and a Mythrax crab(green emerald). let them just hang out for a bit.
what kind of lighting do you have?
my setup
10g glass
aquaclear 20 HOB filter
the biocube protien skimmer (works really well)
16.5 lbs of LR
20 lbs live sand
heater
koralia nano
coralife 96w quad tube compact flourescent 20"
everything is doing good got a bunch of corals snails a shrimp and 2 clowns.

tluvst

Thinking about putting together my own saltwater? I read the instructions on the box and it seems fairly easy, but I am sure there is more to it?????. I have decided to empty my 20 gallon and start fresh doing saltwater. I know I have to cycle. Any help on the water would be great . Does anyone make their own out there.

T

tizzo

We pretty much all of us make our own. If you can make kool aid, you can make saltwater. The salt mix makes it very easy for us...
If I were you though, I don't think I'd empty what you have now. I would simply do water changes.
You need a refractometer to measure your salinity content. A hydrometer is also used because it's cheaper but if you use one of those, make sure you compare it side by side with a refractometer.
Anyway... Never mix your salt water in your tank, always do it in a separate container. It's approx. 1/2 cup of salt for every gallon. No matter which salt brand you buy. I think IO tells you that, but Tropic marin and others don't say...