New to Saltwaterfish.com

coastie5685

lol. New to Saltwaterfish.com and saltwater aquariums period. About three weeks ago i started up my 14g Oceanic Biocube with 10lbs. of LR and 20lbs. of LS. Id say two weeks in i added my bada** clownfish called nem-a. She has done an awesome job at getting the cycle going. Three weeks in i went to LFS with news of a bad brown algae breakout and picked up two Emerald Crabs. They have been doing a decent job for now getting rid of the algae on the rocks. Not so much on the sand though. Any suggestions for sand sifters?
I know this is an unfortunate stage of the cycle. So i hear it will go away.
Thinking of taking on a coral for the clownfish to host in. Shes a lonely fish. Something easy to care for such as an xenia coral? Have i been reading right? Suggestions... Any other tips you experts could give a newbie.. Id appreciate all the info i could get.
I have yet to add any chem's to the tank. The LFS says the tank is doing well.

azaintcold

The brown is diatoms. As you had mentioned it should go away. I wouldn't add any corals at this stage of the game. Do you know if your cycle has ended at this point? what are your parameters? Also to give you good advice for your first coral, what kind of lighting/flow do you have? And welcome to the boards!

coastie5685

Not sure if my tank has finished cycling at this point. Im assuming that once this brwon algae disappears and coraline appears??? that the tank should be well established? right or wrong lol?... and not so sure the parameters. i dont have a testing kit at home. i have 1-18watt 10000k white bulb and 1-18watt true actinic as well as the LED moonlights. i leave the white light on about 8-10 hours a day and at night i leave the led mooonlighting on.

brian_wis

you for sure need to buy your own test kits and test PH,AMMONIA,NITRITE,NITRATE,CALCIUM,ALK, At least start there or your fish/inverts will for sure be doomed with time..Get your test kits in order then lets talk about corals and what is what..
Just my opinion, and welcome to the boards and hobby.
Brian

gypsana

Welcome to the boards! I would get a testing kit first and foremost and a refractometer if you do not have one yet. Your clown does not need to host anything to be happy. And with your lighting most corals will not do well. Coraline takes awhile to start. As for xenia I personally do not like it. It can take over! But you will want your tank up for awhile before even adding that if you like it. What is your clean up crew consist of?

coastie5685

really? so the lighting i have is crap for any type of coral? that sucks to hear. and i do have the hydrometer to test for specific gravity n salinity thats about it. i have the LFS test 2-3 times a week for me to be sure. unemployed taking on a saltwater tank sucks lol but... as of now the cleanup crew is only two emerald crabs. that seem to be doin me good getting the brown algae off the rocks but not so much off the sand. any suggestions? i wont take the care of coral on until this tank is cycled through and i buy all test kits i need.

gypsana

Your lighting is not crap.
Some coral will do ok. Find the coral you like that does not need intense lighting an a lot of room. I would definitely get some snails. They are pretty cheap and do wonders in your tank. Also do a ton of research, it will save you a bunch of $. When you can get the refractometer, you can get a decent one for about $50.