New to skimming

I just got a new skimmer that my wife bought. It is a prizm (I know some of you dont like them) but what I would like to know is how often do I run it and for how long do I run it? I have a 55gal FOWLR. I have a blue damel, flame angel, false perc, neon gobby, Gray angel (just a baby). I am running 2 power heads with an emporer 400 and have CC. Just thought I better learn a little before I start using this thing. Thanks for the help. mike

dburr

Some people run them 24/7, some at night, some in the day and I don't run one at all. It's all preferance and how much load you have. Run it more if you have more load.

nm reef

On my fish only with basically the same bio-load as yours I run my CPR BacPac 2r skimmer 24/7...only time I shut it down is for routine maintenance. My skimmer is close to the Prism you plan to use....I really see no need to have a on/off cycle....just let it do its function and empty as needed.

fmarini

HI:
since your new to skimming you might want to read thru this Skimming 101 article and understand the basic principles of fractionation.
I have a big skimmer on my tank and find no reason to turn it off(so i run 24/7)

jonthefb

i also run my skimmer 24/7. p.s, kinda off topic but i khope you know how big your gray angel is goign to get, because when it does eventually reach adulthood, it will be about the size of a large dinner plate. i went scuba diving in cancun and we swam with a school of french angels (similar to your grey) and they were gigantic. i just wanted to let you know, but you probably already do, but you might have to upgrade to a mcuh larger tank to eventually accommodate for him!
good luck
jon

Thanks all for the posts. I do know how big the angel will get. The only reason that I go it is cause I am in the millitary and I leave almost every 2 yrs. But the good thing is i make a deal will lf's and they will sell the fish for me. or the 1 now will even hold them while i move and then ship them for me at little to nothing. only cause I do all my bying there. That is why I do not start a reef tank. dont want to kill that stuff. SO the chances of him getting that big is very little. But since I found this site I will try to get rid or sell them to a good home around my area. Mike

Sorry 1 more ? It says that if I shut it off And dont use it 24 7 it says to leave the water in there. Is this a good idea? or should I empty it and reprime it evry time. I hate just to waste all that water.

quazi

I use mine during the day, when my lights are on. I do this, because the tank is in my bedroom, and it is too noisy with the pump and the skimmer making all that racket.
As for leaving water in the skimmer, do not worry about it. The volume is too small to worry about, and I assume you will only have it off for a few hours.
Good luck, and run it 24/7 if you can. MHO.

Thanks, but because I am new at this I am just afraid of it over flowing while at work, but i know that it does not collect that much after it has been running for awhile. I will just have to get used to it and play with it to get it set right. mike