New to SWF and have some questions please help

peonleon2

For christmas i got a 44 gallon tank that is a corner tank and it tall. I have in the tank live sand, 20lbs of live rock, porceline crab, queen conch, 5 hermit crabs, 2 damsels, coral beauty, royal gamma, maroon clown fish,and a feather duster. i have a good filter , heater and a air thingy that puts air anywere i want threw sand stones
My question is how much live rock should i have since later on im going to be adding live corals to the tank.
I have read on these forums about a skimmer, what is it and do i need to get one?
Do i need to get more bottom feeders for my tank? (more hermits and crabs)
anything else i might need to know since i am just starting out,

peonleon2

How many crabs and bottom feeders do you think i should get? and is there anything specific that i might want to get?
thanks
leon C

X

xoxox

IMO, I'd go with 30lbs more of live rock and a decent skimmer (do a search for protein skimmer), I personnally don't like to cram too much rock into small areas so I'd go with less myself but many like the bacterial covering that lots of rock gives. If you want corals you'll have to think about a good amount of light for some of them (depending what corals you want). Most reefers won't run airstones, its counter productive for saltwater.

woodymdt

Leon, you'll get a lot of information from the people that post on this forum. I've learned volumes in just the two weeks I've been visiting.
I read, or heard that most well setup tanks are not ready for coral for a few months, so you might want to verify that before you purchase a load of corals.
Other than that, welcome from another newbie!!:jumping:

woodymdt

Originally posted by t n h
be patient and take it slow is what i have learned:)

Hey TNH...Tell me about Razorback Reef?? I'm a hog fan myself, live outside of Little Rock in Jacksonville!!

t n h

well they started about a year ago. there are members throughout the state. they had a meeting this past saturday and i had to work so i missed it. we have our own website. www.razorbackreef.com. there are lots of nice people on there with good info. dogofwar is the president and scubdog is also a good contact person. come check us out would love to have a new member and fellow reefer.:jumping: :jumping:

woodymdt

we'll have to do that. We're beginner SW learners, so could use all the help and advice we can get.
I've joined another site that was listed on the RR site, will have to wait until I get home this afternoon to do the verification email thing, but I have looked at the RR site, it's down for maintenance or something, but still some pics to look at.
:jumping:

woodymdt

Saw that. That's the site I was talking about. Wasn't sure if it was against the rules to bring up other sites on here.
:jumping:

t n h

it may be but i think its worth it to help out a fellow reefer. i like both sites, review both quite frequently:)

peonleon2

for buyuing corals i am going to wait since i am moving into a house that i just bought here pretty soon and dont want to put anything more into my tank as of right now befor i do move into my house.
what does a potien skimmer do since i dont know what they do. i hear that alot of people have them but also alot of people dont. i found them for sale for like 15-50 dollars for a decient one.