New to the Board

ebsochin

Hello all, thought I would see what all the hoopla is about and see if I can get some good advice for my tanks. I have two tanks right now, a 180gal and 75gal. Both are FOWLR and have been up and running for a couple of years now. I'm not to happy with the light setup I have for my 180, so hopefully someone can give me some advice. It has a canopy and right now I have three sets of strip lights set up with two 40W bulbs each. Normal output Flurorescents. The strips are hanging from a rig I put ontop of the canopy. I really can't do corals just yet due to the inhabitants of the tank. Large Naso Tang and Red Sea Sailfin tang and Large adult French Angel. Those three are the main culprets for no corals. However I have been looking at getting some Retro Fit VHO strips and was thinking about a 2 bulb 72" and then a 48" four lamp retro. (two built in overflows on each side) What do you think. I had thought about going with Metal Halides but wasn't sure of the setup for the 180 seeing as the pendants are small squares. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to helping others as well as others helping me out. Peace and hope everyone had a wonderfull Christmas and soon New Years!

calvindo

welcome :D upgrade to the vho's, it will make a world of difference. sounds like you got a good plan there. you should consider metal halide, if there are plans for clams or sps. otherwise, the vho's will would be fine for your set up.

ebsochin

Thanks for the response. I was really leaning toward the VHO's just wasn't quite sure how to install them to the canopy.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Saltwaterfish.com.

Curious about what "hoopla" you mean? :D
I'm going to move your thread over to our Equiptment Forum where I think you will get more advise about lighting. There is a weath of info on lighting, however, if you use our Search Feature to look up the topic.
VHO's are very nice, but they also require special ballasts that are made for them. Many hobbyists make their own retro kits to fit their canopy.
Moving to Equiptment Forum.