New to the clown

11thproduction

I've just purchased two brand new false-perc clowns. I've had them for about 4 days now but I'm worried about them. They only seem to stay on one side of my tank. I'm running a 50 gallon tank with one emerald crab and 3 blue monos. Can anyone offer me a reason as to why they don't swim around the rest of the tank? I have fed my fish once a day and the clowns barely eat. They do look healthy though but I'm still worried. Is this a normal activity for them to engage in? Or should they be swimming around more in the tank? Please let me know I'm a little worried. :help:

yomommasmom

if you want them crusin the tank make shure the water flow is even are they on the opposite side of the filter????

yomommasmom

well that is why because they dont want to go to the other side cause they haft to swim more the important thing is nothings wrong with them make shure your water is not to low

yomommasmom

well thats wat i cant be shure about it would be an good idea to switch the power head you have to the other side

nanokid

I just bought 2 also and they swim all around my aquapod. I had them for atleast a day. Mabey they need some time or yomommasmom was right about the curent. Have they already paired up where one is a girl and one is a guy? do u know? Im asking cause mine are working on it. Also what size are yours? Mine big one is a inch and my little one is alittle bigger than ahalf of a inch and they get around the take fine.

1journeyman

Water flow should not affect a Clown's behavior.
What are you feeding them? How did you acclimate? What are your water parameters?

rbaldino

In my experience with percs, they like to hang around a certain area that they feel comfortable with. The one I have now likes to hang around the heater, and so did the one I had before him. He swims around once in a while, and seems to like playing around in the current flowing out of the power filter every so often (which is on the opposite side of the tank) but mostly keeps to the area he's staked out for himself.
BTW - Treat them right, and you'll have those clowns for a long time. My first lived for over 10 years, and I only lost him because of a prolonged power outage.

skipperdz

i have a maroon clown that only stays on the one side of my 12g nano. grant it my condi is there and thats his mansion but still he rarely ventures out of his "area"

1journeyman

Clowns are territorial so staking out an area makes some sense, but add to their non-swimming the fact that they aren't eating and I think there is another issue at play.

11thproduction

My clowns are eating now and they look pretty good. I will take care of them. I believe that they just like that spot. They do look healthy though. Thank you so much for your input.

watson3

Originally Posted by yomommasmom
well that is why because they dont want to go to the other side cause they haft to swim
They are fish..How long have the 3 mono been in there..Are they very territorial...Do they give the clowns a chance to eat?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by 11thProduction
My clowns are eating now and they look pretty good. I will take care of them. I believe that they just like that spot. They do look healthy though. Thank you so much for your input.
good to hear.