New to the Fish World

worrballer

I had a 55 FOWLR as my first tank and that thing was nearly indestructible. I moved it like 3 times in one year, I had one HOB and two canister filters (never cleaned the canister) only added carbon every once in a while to the HOB. Water change once a month (sometimes).
I'm surprised I was able to keep fish in there. Lesson: the bigger water volume saved me from my stupidity and research is our greatest tools to success.
Your story sounded like mine 5 years ago (0 experience keeping any kind of fish) and you are already 10 steps ahead of where I was at.
Just my advice: Search craig for used 40 (breeder) or 55's and start yourself a FOWLR. You can maintain a 55 with proper flow and a AquaClear 70 or 110.

Originally Posted by WorrBaller
http:///forum/post/3006015
I had a 55 FOWLR as my first tank and that thing was nearly indestructible. I moved it like 3 times in one year, I had one HOB and two canister filters (never cleaned the canister) only added carbon every once in a while to the HOB. Water change once a month (sometimes).
I'm surprised I was able to keep fish in there. Lesson: the bigger water volume saved me from my stupidity and research is our greatest tools to success.
Your story sounded like mine 5 years ago (0 experience keeping any kind of fish) and you are already 10 steps ahead of where I was at.
Just my advice: Search craig for used 40 (breeder) or 55's and start yourself a FOWLR. You can maintain a 55 with proper flow and a AquaClear 70 or 110.

Ok, well if i find one, what should i do for over flows? Should i actually do a fuge and sump?

worrballer

For sure, if you can, drill it. Either find someone to do it or you can do it yourself. It's a lot easier than most think.
I'll pm you a site that has great kits to drill your tank.

dankbardy31

Chevy,
Although I am a little older than you I am very new into the hobby (like 2 months) so hopefully I can shed some light on your questions. I believe someone else has already said this but by searching Craigslist you can find some amazing deals on salt setups. Nearly every day (at least in my area) someone is selling full setups for about 80% off of what they would be new. Granted not all are mint condition deals but I have found that if you want to dive in and can't wait to save for all new stuff then used is the way to go. You definitely won't want to skimp on filtration. If you can go with a sump/fuge setup than do it for sure. If not you can supplement your canister filter or whatever else you get with wet/dry that can be made pretty inexpensive with a little imagination. My buddy made his own wet/dry filter and it has worked fine his whole time using it. Nano's are sweet because its all inclusive and they look pretty clean with the curved glass and no aesthetic obstructions inside the tank but 55g tanks are usually where most people start as did I. Granted I just bought a used nano 24g last night so its all up to you. Just be patient and focus on getting lg ls and some basic fish. You would suprised how sick a fowlr setup can be. When you actually see all the organisms on the rock it will change your perspective. Just don't rush into corals or you could find a lot of money literally thrown down the drain. Let me know what you end up doing and have fun. Once you get started on salt its literally an addiction. Albeit a super fun one.

UPDATE:
I went to the LFS yesturday just to poke around and see what they had. They had a 55 gallon starter aquarium (top fin i think) For $210 and i would get 50 off, 20 mail in rebate and 30 instore discount. It included a hood and basic lighting along with gravel and other stuff i really wont use (might use gravel in the rock wall) But 150 for a tank set up isnt too bad. I am going to look at my banking information and put the money i need for my classes this summer in a holding account (similar to savings) and make sure i have over 200 dollars for gas money ect... Then i will look into buying some tank stuff. All and all my goal is to always have 200 dollars spending money for gas ect. Have enough money for more important things, then what ever is left over i can invest in my tank. I should have 2 paychecks to pick up tonight also, that should help.

dankbardy31

Just to put things in perspective I got a 60 gallon acrylic tank with stand, 2 canister filters, a cpr backpac, jager heater, 48" T5 lights and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff for 150 on craigs. Just throwing it out there as an idea. Granted I live in southern CA so there may be more stuff at my disposal but couldn't hurt to look. Good luck with whatever you get

Originally Posted by dankbardy31
http:///forum/post/3007349
Just to put things in perspective I got a 60 gallon acrylic tank with stand, 2 canister filters, a cpr backpac, jager heater, 48" T5 lights and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff for 150 on craigs. Just throwing it out there as an idea. Granted I live in southern CA so there may be more stuff at my disposal but couldn't hurt to look. Good luck with whatever you get
Yes I have looked at CL before, not alot of people in omaha do salt water fish, or if they do then they realllllly like them and dont want to sell their stuff =P

UPDATEI am getting my equipment list ready so i can start my tank soon and i thought i would post it here so here you go. Feel free to add into any thing that you please, any help is welcomed.EquipmentTank+Stand-55 Gallon tank + ____________
Lighting
-______________
Filtering
- 50lbs Live Rock
Substrate
-2.5" Live Sand Bed
Heating
- 2 100w heaters
Termometer
- _________________
Salt Mix
-Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix
Refractometer
- _______________________
Test Kit
- ______________________
Protein Skimmer
- __________________
RO Water
- ________________
Suppliments
- _________________
Powerheads
- ___________________________
Stocklist

Fish

• 1 Bicolor Blenny
  • 2 False Percula Clownfish - Aquacultured
    1 Royal Gramma
Looking for more fish
Invertebrates

20 Scarlet hermits
20 Blueleg hermits
2 Cleaner Clams
10 Nassarius Snails
10 Turbo/Astrea Snail
1 Brittle Starfish
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Bubble-tip anemone
Plants

Researching
*I am still researching trying to fill in the blanks but any suggestions would be great*

prime311

Lighting: VHO or MH suitable for a 55 gallon tank. I wont go into particulars as there are a ton of options here.
Heaters: get Jager ones
Refrac: You can get a decent one on a certain auction site for 30$
Test Kit: Sera, Elos, or Salifert. If you're feeling spendy you can get a digital pH meter.
Skimmer: Again, too many options. Do you want one that will go by your sump or a hang on back?
RO/DI: Buckeye Field Supply make good units at a decent price. You'll also want a TDS meter if you have your own RO/DI unit.
Powerheads: 2 Koralia 2's.
Sump: Needs to be bigger then 10 gallons. Get the largest sump you can fit under your tank.

worrballer

Changes in red
Equipment
Tank+Stand-55 Gallon tank + DIY so much cheaper
Lighting-I'd recommend T5 if you're on a budget. Make sure its high output though.
Filtering- 50lbs Live Rock
Substrate-2.5" Live Sand Bed
Heating- 2 100w heaters perfect
Termometer- Any really, digital is cool though
Salt Mix-Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix
Refractometer- Not exactly necessary a hydrometer works just as well
Test Kit- Salifert, API, you can't really go wrong
Protein Skimmer- Like prime said, do you want HOB or in sump? Try not to skimp if you can, octopus is a good brand
RO Water- Any of the "fill your own" setups at grocery stores work
Suppliments- can't really help you here, sorry
Powerheads- Again like prime said, 2 maybe 3 koralia 2's
Stocklist
Fish
* 1 Bicolor Blenny
* 2 False Percula Clownfish - Aquacultured
* 1 Royal Gramma
* Yellow wrasse
*Firefish, regular or purple
Looking for more fish
Invertebrates
20 Scarlet hermits
20 Blueleg hermits
Personally I'm staying away from crabs, they knock stuff over, eat corals sometime and they don't put that much of a dent in cleaning. Stick with snails
2 Cleaner Clams
20 Nassarius Snails
5 Turbo Snail
15 Trochus snails
1 Brittle Starfish
2 Cleaner ShrimpBe careful I've heard they fight each other
1 Bubble-tip anemone
Plants
ResearchingChaeto and Calurpea (sp) are the common ones
I think that's it, sorry I'm kind of opinionated. But they are all suggestions. Take 'em with a grain of salt.

http:///forum/post/3011979
Changes in red]
Comments in blue (lol)
Equipment
Tank+Stand-55 Gallon tank + DIY so much cheaper
Planned that anyway.
Lighting-I'd recommend T5 if you're on a budget. Make sure its high output though. Any good brands?
Filtering- 50lbs Live Rock + __________________
Substrate-2.5" Live Sand Bed
Heating- 2 100w heaters perfect Brands?
Termometer- Any really, digital is cool though
Salt Mix-Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix
Refractometer- Not exactly necessary a hydrometer works just as well
Test Kit- Salifert, API, you can't really go wrong Sweet
Protein Skimmer- Like prime said, do you want HOB or in sump? Try not to skimp if you can, octopus is a good brand Probably HOB for now, dont think i will start with a sump
RO Water- Any of the "fill your own" setups at grocery stores workGets kindof expensive but probably will do
Suppliments- can't really help you here, sorry
Powerheads- Again like prime said, 2 maybe 3 koralia 2'sThanks
Stocklist
Fish
* 1 Bicolor Blenny
* 2 False Percula Clownfish - Aquacultured
* 1 Royal Gramma
* Yellow wrasse
*Firefish, regular or purpleLooking for good color and friendly fish, will research thos
Looking for more fish
Invertebrates
20 Scarlet hermits
20 Blueleg hermits
Personally I'm staying away from crabs, they knock stuff over, eat corals sometime and they don't put that much of a dent in cleaning. Stick with snails 5 of each then? I would like to have a few just for a little life
2 Cleaner Clams 1 or 2?
20 Nassarius Snails
5 Turbo Snail
15 Trochus snails
1 Brittle Starfish
2 Cleaner ShrimpBe careful I've heard they fight each otherMated pair?
1 Bubble-tip anemone
Plants
ResearchingChaeto and Calurpea (sp) are the common ones
How about madins hair i really like that
I think that's it, sorry I'm kind of opinionated. But they are all suggestions. Take 'em with a grain of salt.
(lol please enter atleast 1 character)

Ok sorry just an update, the tank im looking at is a Top Fin 55 gallon.
It includes the following:
Glass blcak-trim aquarium
Fluorescent hood with bulbs
Top Fin Power Filter with 2 cartridges
Adjustable 200-watt UL hearter
6" nylon net
Fishfood Sample
Thermometer
Water conditioner sample
Bacteria starter sample
Guide to aquarium set-up and care
*Off topic: 2nd page =P

prime311

Sitcks with Chaeto for plants, unlike other forms of macro algae it won't go s e x ual on you and crash the tank.

I will probably hold off on plants, untill i see what comes in on my live rock. I cant wait to get the money to start, i just spent $200 in chicago on a trip. And i still need to pay for 2 classes, but then i am good to go. I did however find out that one class wont be $500 dollars, but only $250. But my EMT-B will still be around $650

worrballer

Current Nova brand lights are good. If you are going to make your own hood I'd recommend a DIY kit with 4-6 bulbs.
For filtering, if you get a protein skimmer that might be all you need. Or you could get a basic hob and through chemi-pure in.
Jager, hydor, hagen, finnex, just to name a few heaters.
Reef Octopus makes good hob protein skimmers.
For hermits, if you want some then 5 each sounds good. It's a matter of preference really, I just don't like them.
Just make sure the shrimps are mated and you probably won't have any problems.
I'm not too experienced with marine plants but cheato will be fine for filtration. If you want it to look pretty then start looking at the other plants.
Just do plenty of research about anything you put in or add on to your tank.

I GOT MY FIRST FISH TODAY!!!!!!!!!

I will post pics tomorrow!
ok, well not saltwater fish
but i got my self a betta today. Figured atleast one little guy is better then non, i got a little 1.5 gallon jar thing to put him in, and some little fresh water plants, but hes just a little time keeper for me.

worrballer

Lame, bettas ftl.
I'm kidding, I understand the itch. So how far off are you to getting your stuff set up?
And have you decided on a stock list yet?

http:///forum/post/3024619
Lame, bettas ftl.
I'm kidding, I understand the itch. So how far off are you to getting your stuff set up?
And have you decided on a stock list yet?
Lol, well im still pretty far off, im looking past july till i even think about buying my tank. I need to get my classes done first. But i dont know, i want to see where im going with life first. So im thinking of a 10-20 gallon fresh water just to satisfy the "itch"

I got really good news today. I was at work, and i ran into one of the clerks at the local gas station i all ways shop at, and she was telling me that she was going to get rid of her 55 gallon tank. So i was asking her about it and she said she was going to just put it on a garage sale. So i asked her how much and she really didnt know and asked what i thought. I asked her what she was including with it and she said EVERYTHING! Stand, tank, hood, heaters, pump, ect... So i told her that i would like to buy it, and told her i would look at it before i gave her my price, but i did give her a low ball estimate of a max. of $200. She said she would have never expected to get that much out of it, but she wanted to ask her husband what he thought it was worth, but we are estimating $150. Maybe even lower. Im going to look at it soon, and make an offer. IM SO EXCITED. EVERYTHING I NEED BUT THE FISH FOR UNDER 200 DOLLARS!

Sorry for the caps

Ok, so i will be doing freshwater to start, because that is what this tank was before. But here will be my stock list. This list was formulated based off the gallon per inch rule.
9 Neon Tetras
6 Fancy Guppies
6 Peral Danios
2 Mystery Snails
3 Mini Fiddler Crabs