New to the Hobby question about a tank

jerseysea1

hey all Iam looking to buy a 100 gallon glass tank with a stand and canopy could someone tell me what would be a good price to pay for this one thanks. Any help would be great once I can get find the tank I want for a decent price I can start to look for the other things I need for my tank.

mikeyjer

It depends on what you want in it!!! I personally wouldn't buy it because of the canopy, it's useless to me since I go reef. :happyfish

T

thomas712

True, there is no way that canopy would make it with the lighting systems that we use. I have a 90 gallon and spent maybe 500 bucks for tank, stand and hood ( a good hood), but I still wound up getting a costum hood and lighting.

jerseysea1

What do you guys mean the Canopy is no good Im trying to look for a good 100 gallon tank because thats the hardest thing right now. Whats wrong with this one its quite expensive Im probably gonna try to find something cheaper but whats wrong with this hood.

jakebtc

it looks way to short for any kind of lighting that will do u any good for corals and such for a 100 gallon that is

jerseysea1

Right I think im gonna Do Fish only with maybe some Live Rock not sure. In the future if I decide to go reef I dont wanna buy another tank. So what tanks do you guys recommend like any shops or websites ive been looking on ---- but most of them are pick up only any help would be great

jakebtc

I have always stuck with plain old rect all-glass tanks done me well so far couple have friends have had thier corner tanks "bowfronts" and loved them

T

thomas712

Your tank and stand in the pic if fine, however with the lighting systems that we use the one you show appears to only be good for standard lighting systems or Normal output bulbs. You will need something about 8 inches tall or better if you decide down the road to put in Metal halide lighting. For instance if water were to splash onto a MH bulb then it would break it. Something more like this. This is a 55 gallon tank, stand, hood. See how much more hight it has?

T

thomas712

This is also not to mention (which I will now) that a tank of that size should also be drilled for internal overflow, but it can also be done with an external overflow instead.

reefrobert

yes your right! I am cycling a 20 gal. with 32 lbs of live rock and 1 1/2" sand.
I also have a 90 gal with a new mega flow system. It pull the water from the bottom, middle and top. It rated at 600 gph. can't wait till I get that going

phixer

If your a beginner new to the hobby you probably dont want to start with a reef tank. There are hundreds successful tanks like that one going strong today. As you stated a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) system would be a good choice for a beginer. As far as the price is concerned I would not pay more than 700 dollars for that tank and stand combo brand new IMO. Then again I havent bought a tank in years since I started building them. Bob Fenner makes some good points in the Conscientious marine aquarist, its a good starting point.

tommygun8

yeah thats something id like to do it build me a tank and a stand and everything i think that would be sweet...

phixer

Its not that hard if you start small. I started by buying materials from the scrap bins of local plastics and glass shops and practicing making seams and joints. After awhile I started making small boxes and a few small tanks. Going to try a hexagon soon and this summer will be my biggest project yet 120 X24 X36 1.25 polycast GP. For this one Ive been doing a lot more research, very fortunate enough to be here in SD CA near a lot of knowledge. Have had to learn through trial and error because most fabricators keep their techniques a closely guarded trade secret.

jerseysea1

Does anyone know a good place to shop for Tanks 90-120 Gallon im having a hard time trying to find a good tank with stand and canopy any help would much appreciated. :help:

reefrobert

Hello eveyone! I don't know about you, but at my lfs I paid around $450.00 for:
1 90 gal. with new mega flow rated at 600 gph
1 pine wood stand, oak in color
1 glass top
1 mega flow kit
I think I did ok!

fishy7

Originally Posted by JerseySea1
Does anyone know a good place to shop for Tanks 90-120 Gallon im having a hard time trying to find a good tank with stand and canopy any help would much appreciated. :help:
I would check your LFS.... When I walk in my LFS, there are always used tanks forsale.