new to the hobby

wilenoc51

i have a 10 gallon aquarium that's in cycling. and i just want to inqiuer of what to stock. i want start with a all inverterbrate type tank with just one or maybe two fishes and inverterbrates. may question is what type of fishes and inver can i stock in these setup that i'm after?

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
The general rule would be 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons, so choose 2 small fish you would like and build the set up around that. you could have a shrimp or two as well. Crabs and snails,etc.

Jesterrace

I am going to disagree on the inch per gallon or 5 gallon, etc. as it just doesn't translate to saltwater fish at all as it does not factor level of activity, temperament, etc. A Firefish and a Pygmy Angel both get about 3 inches in length when fully grown but anyone who has owned or even observed both can tell you that they are world's apart in terms of what they require. I do agree that 2 small fish would work. Among the recommendations:

Firefish
The Smallest Gobies
Possum Wrasse
Tailspot Blenny (only after algae is growing though)

lmforbis

Administrator
Staff member
I’d agree. It depends much more on the specific needs of the fish. Things like a fire fish at 2” are good in a small tank because they don’t swim around a lot. A flasher wrass which is also in the 2” range would not work because they need swimming space. I wouldn’t even put a clown in a 10 gallon.
My suggestion would be a fire fish and a small shrimp goby or a clown goby.

jay0705

I see people mention clown gobys in small tanks. I always laugh, I have one in my 220 lol

beaslbob

just to get things going and to test it out try a single male molly. Once that lives for a few weeks then try the more expensive saltwater only fish.

and FWIW I highly recommend using macro algae like chaetomorphia in a refugium to balance out and stabilize the system. The refugium can just be a 1/4" plastic grid (egg crate) used as lighting diffusers in dropped ceilings to partition the tank into a small macro algae area and the larger display area..

my .02

wilenoc51

thanks for the advise. I'm thinking about 1 yellow banded possum wrasse with couple of peppermint shrimp, and nassi snail for a cleanup crew and the rest are soft corals to learn from. what are your thoughts ?