New to this..Aquarium Lighting

howiet4702

Hello all,
I have a 45 gallon high tank and I need some new lighting in order to keep some basic corals. The total length of the tank is 36".
Right now I have the oak colored basic hood type design that came with the tank. Right now I have the 20,000K coral life bulb and I know it is not even close to being adequate.
I would like something that would fit within its place. Maybe buy a new strip light that would fit into its place with higher rated wattage?
Like I said, I am new to saltwater aquariums and I have been searching for a replacement..
Thanks in advance.

howiet4702

Pretty much basic stuff, possibly intermediate corals.
The depth is approx- 20-22" from the top of the water to the bottom of the gravel.

fishfreak1242

You might be able to get away with using Power Compact lighting if you have relitively easy corals and you keep them at the top of the tank. If you want to be able to have more of a variety and more choices, then you should either get metal halides or t-5s. Let me give you the run down and basic facts on each of them:
T-5
-Cooler than halides
-Bulbs last from 12-14 months
-Powerful enough to have almost anything with right setup
Metal Halides

-Runs much hotter than T-5s therefore you will require either cooling fans or a chiller
-Is known for the shimmering more natural look
-Bulbs last for about 6 months
-Very powerful light and you will be able to sustain any coral with these lights
So good T-5 brands are Ice-cap, TEK, and if you have the money Aquatinics. If you do buy a T-5 fixture you want to get a fixture with individual reflectors. They will greatly increase its intensity apposed to T-5s without individual reflectors. So good Metal Halide brands are Ice-Cap, and Hamilton Technology. Try to stay away from fixtures that are under $150, they are usually knock offs and you will regret it.

mr_x

Originally Posted by howiet4702
http:///forum/post/2615763
Pretty much basic stuff, possibly intermediate corals.
The depth is approx- 20-22" from the top of the water to the bottom of the gravel.
i would suggest a dual 150 or 250 (i'd go with 250, for whatever you want to keep) watt mh setup with actinic suppliment, or a current nova extreme pro 6 x 39 watt t-5 unit.