New to This

prinny

We just purchased a 120 gallon tank and want to set up for SW. The filters are in, we have aragonite sand in the bottom and the hydrometer is at 1.021. What's Next? Do we need to add rocks or coral or plants? If there are any good books out there please let me know. I have read that you can seed the tank with household ammonia. We have the test kit but don't know what we are testing for. Thanks

whipple

go to the book store and get a good book and also do you know what kind of tank you want to have?

prinny

Fish, not a reef. We have bought a couple of books but they don't tell us what to do next. Is live sand and rock needed?

whipple

Are you wanting LS and LR ? If so get them in before you start putting in any fish or clean up crews and dont even think about putting in a coral for a while or youll end up wasting a good coral and good money but i've never heard anything about household ammonia? Not sure what your saying

mlm

The best and most humane way to cycle your tank is to put shrimp (from the grocery store) in it. This way fish will not have to suffer through high ammonia.

mlm

A book that I like that is a little outdated but has some good info on fish is called The Book of Marine Aquarium by Nick Dakin. If you decide you want to get in to a reef I suggest you read Natural Reef Aquariums by Tullock.

Prinny - STOP WHERE YOU ARE.
If you have not done so, order a copy of The Contientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner or get Moes' book and read at least one of them cover to cover.
You mentioned that you "have the filters in" - are you refering to undergravel filters (aka UGF)? If so, take them out and start over. I made the mistake of UGF and had to take it out after 5 fish were very happily enjoying the tank - not fun.
Sorry to be so blunt but I don't want you to start off on the wrong foot and have to start over much later down the road.
Good luck.

cyn

I don't know if you have read SWF's setting up a marine aquarium, it may help. My best advice is READ, READ, READ. It may help you to avoid some common and costly mistakes. There is tons of information on the web, but take it all with a grain of salt. This is a hobby and there are many opinions out there on how to do it. I for one am strongly against using chemicals in my tank, so the household ammonia made me cringe. But this is me and you may find others that say go ahead. Be informed and make your best judgement call from there. :)
HTH,
cyn

fshhub

AMMONIA IS A DANGEROUS THING, all you need to do is grab the wrong bottle, most households contain deteregents too(i think), it would have to be pure ammonia, but i don't like the idea at all
shrimp works great,, as does lr and ls, if you plan on either, add them first, they will help to cycle your tank, and if the lr is well cured, will help speed it up alot
plus, it creates hiding for your fish,
adds to your filtration and is a good place to put corals(if youlater decide) and has aesthetics benefits
beyond that, in re to ammonia
THE ONLY THINGS THAT HAPPEN, IN THIS HOBBY FAST, IS BAD
plus when you use chemicals, it often is only a temporary fix, i prefer long term and stability
mother nature has some real successful techniques, ie. the shrimp method and or lr with ls
read me
HTH

bbreaux1

dont listen to every thing swf.com says though in thier part on cycling they state that you can use clown fish to cycle an aquarium